Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Front Inner Wing Fitting Advice

Post by Nourish »

Hi All. I've braced up the O/S door hinge panel and removed the inner wing.
Hinge Pillar.JPG
Hinge Pillar.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1475 times
As you can see I've got the new inner wing in place but I'm struggling with the alignment.
I can align the wing with the scuttle panel above the hinge pillar and push the wing into the Hinge Pillar but then the wheel arch doesn't align at the front.
I presume I need to screw the wing to the Hinge Pillar with self tappers - any more advice?

Cheers
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Front Inner Wing Fitting Advice

Post by panky »

I used dozens of tech screws to line things up, fitted the door and wing, took them off again, repositioned the tech screws, fitted door and wing.......................
It took a few goes. and loads of extra holes, to get it all right but got there in the end.

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

The fit of most modern replacement panels is awful, no wonder some people prefer to weld in a patch if they can.
The problem comes if the panel is too far gone or structural and you have no choice but to replace it.
Nightmare.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

I thought keeping the Door Hinge Panel in it's original position would help with the alignment, so now I can't fit the door,
What should I be aligning the Inner Wing to? Fitting the radiator panel seems a bit of a hit or miss as its so flexible.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

The inner wing flitch panel, at least the type you have got, with the L shaped return to meet the kidney panel, was in my experience one of the better made panels. As Panky says, lots of temp screws, including to the dish in the kidney panel, as flexing affects the position if this isn't fixed.

I'd concentrate on getting the gaps at the rear and top of the door as perfect as possible before final welding of the pillar. Some adjustment of the wing and the front panel is possible, but keep checking these, though.