Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Windscreen sealant

Post by Mark Wilson »

My traveller has finally emerged and is temporarily living on the drive, awaiting the interior fitting, while the garage is otherwise occupied. During the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago I found that what I had thought were minor leaks resulted in serious flooding. The rear sliding window leaks weren't a surprise, and should be cured when I fit the interior cappings.

The windscreen, which I fitted myself, leaked worse than expected. I had bought some Capt Tolley's, which I haven't tried yet, but given the severity of the leak I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to go round the rubber with the messy black gunge sealant again?
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Windscreen sealant

Post by pgp001 »

Hi Mark

I did mine with this stuff and it seems to have worked very well.
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index ... BnN5y.dpbs

Phil
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The Capn's cure is good for smaller leaks but if it is bad then Phil's suggestion is probably a better bet. Having said that, I had a leak in the front windscreen for which I tried Capn Tolley and then a thicker sealant, but to no avail. In the end I rubbed a lot of carnaubia wax all around the seal between the rubber and the car body, polished it off and - no leaks! But it depends where the water is getting in....not always easy to find.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I used a similar stuff, get yourself a gallon of white spirit for the clean up as well, it's a messy job.

Ideally you would take the filler strip out of the rubber first makes it a lot easier to get the nozzle in.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks all, I'll try the ebay stuff.