Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Fibreglass wing headlight mounting

Post by James k »

Hi,

I'm fitting a new pair of headlights to my car which has fibreglass wings. The previous pair were fixed using self tappers into the wing but I was wondering what the standard procedure was. It seems that with steel wings, the lights are fixed using 2BA screws into captive nuts. I wondered if it would be a good idea to drill holes and then mount with bolts, washers and nuts.

Thanks
James
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Fibreglass wing headlight mounting

Post by ManyMinors »

I would use 2BA (or similar) screws with a washer and nut on the back. And some copper grease on the threads so you can undo them at some time in the future if required!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 am........ some copper grease on the threads so you can undo them at some time in the future if required!
Words to live by MM, words to live by! :wink:
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I used stainless m5 screws with nuts and washers. I’m not claiming this is necessary, I just picked up a big cheap pack of metric fastners.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've mounted them using 2BA screws and bolts with penny washers. I bought some copper grease this morning and then forgot to put it on the screws!

Thanks,
James
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Copper grease and lashings of it should be like a religion to anyone who's into classic cars.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I keep an aerosol of bilt hamber underbody wax in the workshop giving thing like bolts a squirt of that protects them well enough.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I vaguely remember reading something about 'dry' vs 'oiled' torque settings. Does copper grease affect the torque required to keep the bolt secure?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Wheel studs are ones that should always be dry for safety.
However head studs are in constant contact with oil, so I don't see it will affect torquing down nuts.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Cylinder head nuts should be torqued up dry unless specified by the manufacturer.
Oiled threads allow the nut to reach its required torque much later so increasing the loading and stretch on the stud.