Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Trying to get Small Concours Details right on a 1970 Traveller

Post by culp »

I'm just working on my 1970 Almond Green Morris Traveller, fitting out the back and working forward. I'm trying to get it to a Concours standard (emphasis on the trying) :o

I've fitted a new headlining. I was told, by the people at ESM, that the 1970 Almond Green Travellers had a "fleck" headlining, in a sort of oatmeal finish. I bought one of those and fitted it, and it looks good if I say so myself, but the old one I took out was a pale grey.

I've bought 2 new vinyl covers for the rear wheel arches. In porcelain green which matches the trim finish, The old ones I took out that weren't original were green and I'm now seeing that they were a pale grey colour originally.

My question is...do I bite the bullet and get a grey headlining and wheel trims, or do I go with what I've got as late production Travellers were flexible in their trim specification?
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Trying to get Small Concours Details right on a 1970 Traveller

Post by les »

The factory could well have fitted an alternative trim if maybe they were waiting for supplies, they wouldn’t have stopped production rather than fit a similar item. Of course, It’s whatever gives you peace of mind.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I think you may have just opened yourself up for some "fun" times.

Your car may not have originally been Almond Green, therefore that could explain all the grey interior.

According to the Ray Newell Restorer's Guide, it's going to depend on whether it's a Cowley Built or Adderley Park built Traveller, because if from Cowley your car would have to have been built before July '69 to be Almond Green, but no such details exist for Adderley Park built ones (says the book).

According to another forum thread you can tell if your Traveller was built in Adderley because it would have:
NO "/" between the "M" & "A".
on the chassis number.

So you should possibly check when it was built.

In other words this whole experience might end up driving you mad :D I'm, doing the same thing with my saloon
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

The car was built at Adderly park, it has the A in the car number. It was definitely Almond Green originally, so I'm guessing it was built in 1969 and sold and registered in 1970. I have realised the wheel arch covers I bought were for an earlier car so are wrong anyway. So I'm thinking a grey rear load area mat but the question still remains about the headlining.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

The best answer from the books is that the headlining colour changed frequently on the models (light grey, pearl grey and beige) so in terms of originality maybe yours just had grey after all.

Almond Green had a beige (fleck) headlining for the 62-64 duotone models, but that was likely to match in with the duotone, so I only mention it in passing not as any definite answer to your problem. I've not seen the grey headlining so can't comment, but my bias (as an owner of the duotone model) is that the fleck looks nice :D

Apparently the rear wheel arches were covered in PVC backed grey felt material if it were a Deluxe.

These were the books I was using for reference:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... or-p831098
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... on-p831089
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

My 1970 car also has a plain light grey headlining and sunvisors. I think every Minor 1000 of that age does regardless of the body colour.
Also, I have never seen the load bay floor and wheelarches covered in anything but a grey material originally. I believe it is referred to as "Hardura".
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

Yes, my Sept 1970 registered Traveller also has the light grey headlining and grey(ish) - although nowadays they have gone more a light brown colour, despite cleaning - rear load bay and wheelarch linings.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

thanks all for the replies, I'm sticking with the fleck headlining as I just spent over £600 on trimming just the back :o
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Good move.