Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller woodwork..

Post by parahandy 15 »

In the process of making new ash frame for traveller,(glutton for punishment) coming along very well if slowly. I am about to start making new rear pillars,.
The existing rotten pillars from the car are laminated. Was this the original method of construction ? I am thinking that they might have been replaced at some point (the car is a 1962) .Looking at the Morris motors plans downloaded from this forum the pillars might appear to be laminated so think it might be easier and less wastage of timber to laminate them, but would be grateful for any advice and info before I start cutting. Thanks in advance.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller woodwork..

Post by ManyMinors »

The original rear pillars on your 1962 car would have been solid timber. Laminated pillars were introduced later - certainly by 1968.
I think that all the currently available replacement pillars are shaped from solid timber.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

That's great thanks. I will go ahead with cutting from solid.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Steve Phillips »

from memory S and T woodwork (if memory serves me) were a compny that made traveller kits and made the rear pillars laminated.

they closed in the mid ninties I think good kits but laminated not solid, so possibly a kit from them,

Steve
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Thanks Steve, but I am making the frame from scratch.,Starting off with big lumps of ash,ending with smaller lumps of ash and a lot of firewood offcuts.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Myrtles Man »

parahandy 15 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:34 pm Starting off with big lumps of ash,ending with smaller lumps of ash and a lot of firewood offcuts.
Which, in turn presumably, will return to being ash. :wink:
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Yes indeed, very droll! Because of the curves in the frame ,even trying to fit the parts as economically as possible there is a lot of wastage,
mainly odd shaped bits which will be no use for anything, although I am throwing nothing away until the job is finished. Luckily the local sawmill is very user friendly and is selling me bits of ash which are rejected for furniture making as they are twisted and bent (the timber that is) ,so ideal for a Traveller. Cold and wet this afternoon, so a good day for woodbashing.
PS, I now appreciate why a timber kit is so expensive.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Just as a side. I took my Traveller off the road in 1982 because the wood needed to be replaced. I could not afford a new set so I bought a completely assembled, second hand frame from a chap in Devizes. He was a carpenter and had made the frame himself, a good job too. The car was written off in a crash but the wood was undamaged so he was able to remove it. It lasted several years until it was replaced some time in the 1990s.
So it can be done!
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.