Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

rust remover

Post by ampwhu »

Bilt Hamber Deox C.

I have a rusty fuel tank that's causing me problems. fuel filter and pump keeps filling with rust. take it all apart, clean it and within no time at all, were back to the beginning again. been advised this stuff will clean back to bare metal.

anyone used it?
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: rust remover

Post by Myrtles Man »

Yes, it's very good. Literally does what it says on the tin. Haven't used it inside a fuel tank however. If you do decide to use it (or any other rust remover/inhibitor for that matter) probably the best way to keep further rust at bay is to always store the vehicle with a completely full tank so that there's virtually no internal part of the tank that's 'dry' but which, in fact, is exposed to the inevitable water vapour that is released from today's petrol which, almost without exception, contains ethanol which itself is hygroscopic (meaning of course that it attracts water). The addition of Ethomix or similar is also probably worthwhile.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Try putting a hand full of gravel in the tank and shake vigorously and empty .This will get the rust off the inside that is loose and maybe try petseal
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

POR 15 products are very effective on fuel tanks.

Phil.
Kztom

Post by Kztom »

You could try a tank lining product, popular on motorcycles. Put it in the tank, rotate it a few times and let it set, leaves a lining inside which should sort your problem.

Your not getting water leaking in to the tank are you?
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

thanks for all your replies.

no good using stones/gravel. tried that and it doesn't really work.
tank was 'sealed' around 7/8 years ago with a well known product. no good. modern fuel has eaten through that.
tank is water tight.

the issue is the tank sealer. its turned to powder and has ruined the fuel line.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

You could try this stuff: 'SEALEATER Fuel Tank Sealant Remover' - I've had success with it in the past.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Pea gravel does work - but only if done properly.

The vintage tractor people affix the fuel tank to a tractor wheel and go to work with it. Clearly takes more than 5 minutes of shaking by hand.

Likely fuel tanks on vintage tractors were made of thicker steel than more modern car fuel tanks.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have heard of people strapping the tank on a cement mixer with gravel inside and let it run for a few hours. I have never tried it though.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

so I have just had bilt hamber in the tank for 72 hours. emptied it out and it didn't work. I had the correct strength according to the info on the product. the tank is still rusty inside.

next step is to try soda crystals. stronger solution.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Mmm, strange. Might be instructive to see what the Bilt Hamber people make of your experience.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

The bilt product is based on citric acid which you can buy cheaply on ebay etc in bulk bags and is good for surface rust eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITRIC-ACID- ... SwBahU-MiP

Oxalic acid is better for deeper rust (it is in rhubarb!) again can be bought in bulk and is great used hot for rusty tanks....
eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1KG-OXALIC-A ... 2JTI4iSxCA

Taupe
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

great replay Taupe. think the 2nd one is the answer.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

this morning I put 3kg of soda crystals in. going to leave for a week. added with hot water. now sitting in my workshop.

cost - £3.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

That gives me an idea - as long as the tank has no petrol residue I might try electrolytic derusting, dangling a piece of scrap steel through the Float access as the anode, with washing soda as the electrolyte. From past experience this works really well - see my separate thread on this method of removing rust.