Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
heathy12
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Traveller rear door Handle.

Post by heathy12 »

Right guys, hoping someone can help, fingers crossed!

Last week the handle on the rear door snapped off in my hand, fine I thought, i'll fit the spare one I had. Been trying to figure out how to get the old one out!

The problem that ive got that im hoping someone can explain or show an exploded diagram of is the rear handle assembily.
Ive taken everything apart and cant figure it out.

The handle snapped off in the locked position and has half the shaft still poking thru the door wood. There is a color around the snapped off shaft which I cant get out along with the old shaft.

Does anyone have a how to or any instructions/picrures they wouldn't mind sharing??!?

Fingers crossed!!
TeHoro
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by TeHoro »

The handle shaft is supposed to be a sliding fit into the door latch mechanism and is only retained by the screw on the inside. The "collar" is part of the mechanism and doesn't come out.

However it is all ferrous and rust holds it togther fairly well. I had to beat on min a bit with a hammer and drift (from the inside where the screw threads into the end of the square shaft) to get it apart.

Good luck!

T.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Basicakky the whole handles and lock assembly comes away as one unit. There is a chrome collar on the outside of the door held in place by two screws. Remove the screws. On the inside of the door there is a retaining screw on the end of the square operating shaft to which the handle is fitted. Remove the screw. Now the handle and outer collar should come away from the outside of the door. If the square shaft has rusted to the catch assembly then "plus gas" releasing fluid will help. If using a hammer and drift to knock the shaft out then support the wood from the other side to avoid opening the joints or loosening the hinge mountings. Dont worry about saving teh thread for the retaining screw as the new hand comes with a new shaft.