Fitting carpets

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
duncan-mandy
MMOC Member: No

Fitting carpets

Post by duncan-mandy »

Having bough a new carpet set for my Moggie 1000 over a year ago, I thought I'd better get round to fitting it! Has anyone got any tips as to what glue (or other method) is best for the job?
Andy
Minor Friendly

Post by Andy »

I used Evostik Contact Adhesive. It comes in little red pots and you spread it on the back of the carpet with a spatula, wait for it to go tacky and then press the carpet onto the bodywork. You have to be careful to line up the carpet properly though as it really does stick on first contact. If you try to pull the carpet up again it'll probably come away leaving some of the material stuck to the body.
Cam

Post by Cam »

If you can't get that, then I have used spray-on carpet glue from Focus (or any DIY store), that is also pretty good and sticks just as well as the Evostik, but you can spray it on which is quicker, but be careful as you can get it everywhere!!! :o
dellboy
Minor Friendly

Post by dellboy »

be carefull not to glue it under the foot pedles.you have got a
well there. where the brake oil goes :wink:
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

The carpet should not be glued to either footwell on the side which is against the gearbox cover. On the driver's side is the master cylinder cap where brake fluid is topped up (I hate to think what oil would do). On the passengers side there are two holes which should have rubber caps. The large one is the gearbox filler, the smaller one being the steering rack lubrication nipple.
Willie
Minor Legend

carpets

Post by Willie »

The only part of a carpet set which should need glueing are
the long sill covers and the front wheel arch sections. Although
Evo Stick is excellent it usually rips some of your floor paint
off if you have to lift the carpet. These sets should come with
carpet studs which do a good job when fitted properly. If you
glue the carpet down how are you going to regularly check
for rust on the floor(essential on the Minor)?
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

I'll second Willie's & Chris' point! Don't glue the carpet onto the floor or over the fillers!!

I had to rip up the carpet on mine when I tried to change the gearboz oil - lots of adhesive everywhere - including the rubber caps.

I tried using heavy duty waterproof glue Velcro. That didn't stick to the hessian carpet backing, or the floor (too dusty/bumpy)

Colin
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Yeah I had a simular situ except my carpet had underlay pushed into a tar which had been smeared on the floor - real mess to lift as it was all in the screws, rubber caps - every thing - only attach where it is needed to stop it falling off or moving around.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]