MMOC Member: No

Picture 1st attempt

Post by 57traveller »

ImageImage
Cam

Post by Cam »

It does, and it looks fantastic!

You don't need to put the img bits around the text though.
MoggyGalore
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyGalore »

:o Ohh - get you!!!!
What a superb machine! :wink:
57traveller
Minor Addict

1st image attempt

Post by 57traveller »

Thanks Cam & MoggyGalore. Don't know where the two "img" bits came from. Did I possibly click on the img "button" too many times?

Didn't want to go into a lengthy description without the image posting correctly. Only recently got into the digital camera bit so still on a learning curve.

In due course I'll post some more pictures and a brief description. I have done a fair bit to the car myself but can't take take any credit for the body restoration.
It is a 1957 standard Traveller built on 12th/13th May 1957. It was black originally. The experts will notice, when further pictures appear, that a lot of things are not original but the car is used as an everyday driver, e.g. interior colours, indicators/sidelights, carpets, switchgear, alternator, seats (Newton Commercial), windscreen washer (non fitted to the base model?) etc. so certain changes are ideally necessary in my opinion.
57traveller
Minor Addict

Interior, front

Post by 57traveller »

Use a bib :wink:

Not the correct speedometer, but most of the interior is from a later donor vehicle. The black speedometer is correct though, for the 1098cc engine, gearbox and rear axle/diff.
Seats, door and scuttle panels are Newton Commercial.
Heater and switches are from later model. The heater is all recirculating beacause the car didn't have one originally and I don't want to cut a big hole in the bulkhead for air pipe. I said it was the standard model! No ashtray or bumber overriders either. Originally had rubber floor covering.
Just above the indicator stalk end can be seen a yellow dot. This and the non visible red pull switch next to it are for a reversing light and rear fog light. Gauges are oil pressure and ammeter. Not ideally positioned but again didn't want to start cutting holes to accept them.
Radio/c.d. unit under nearside glovebox, speakers are mounted on the parcel shelf in purpose made plywood enclosures. (Bass could be better but the sound is acceptable).
Cam

Post by Cam »

Actually, mate, the black faced speedo goes really well with the black interior. Did you get Newton Commercial to recover the seats, or did you just buy the new covers and do them yourself?
MoggyGalore
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyGalore »

Puts my rather shabby interior to shame..... but as we all understand (especially when 0-60 can take up to the coming and going of two ice ages) it will all come good in time! :wink:
57traveller
Minor Addict

Interior

Post by 57traveller »

Yes Cam I agree but I still have a liking for the old bronze speedo. Do your cars still have the bronze unit? My Almond Green '62 saloon does.

The seats are Newton Commercials own, not cheap but in terms of comfort etc. I think well worth the cost.
The rear seat covering is, although intact, a bit faded and tired so I'll renew these, as MoggyGalore says in good time.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Nah! my '69 has the black faced speedo, and I know what you mean about the gold faced ones they do look rather good.

My '52 has the older (and smaller) white faced unit with the red needle that sits behind the steering wheel with a VERY optimistic 80MPH on it as a top speed, although I very much doubt it could go over about 65!!

I know the dash should not be green!!! (that's previous owners for you!) I will paint it the correct gold colour eventually (add it to the list!)
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Open eyes and engage brain :roll: '69 & '52 at the bottom of your posts Cam!
I should pay more attention.

No excuses for not knowing what's happening under the bonnet with all that instrumentation - looks good.

I'll post an under bonnet view in due course. Apologies to all if it becomes boring but like a big child with new toy at the moment (digital camera).
Cam

Post by Cam »

Apologies to all if it becomes boring but like a big child with new toy at the moment (digital camera).
Ha ha, tell me about it. I took 470 photos at the national rally at Knebworth!!
57traveller
Minor Addict

Under bonnet

Post by 57traveller »

All right then here's one.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Grief! That looks clean!

Looks like a very tasty car you have there mate!
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Thanks Cam - however the camera can lie, even a digital one :lol:
Dizzi141
Minor Fan

Post by Dizzi141 »

How many dials have you got on your 69 Cam?! :lol: My 62 baby has just the speedo in the middle of the dash and no other dials. Behind the steering wheel is a glove box. (a nasty rough thing that has been made from plywood and carpet. :roll: )
Visit http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/dizzi141/Moggie/ to see the progress on Rosie.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

57 does that inline petrol filter actually pick up much dirt as most Moggies seem fine without one
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
57traveller
Minor Addict

Inline petrol filter

Post by 57traveller »

Hello Kevin. Well spotted! Inline filter possibly not really a necessity. The pump filter picks up most rubbish that may be around (if your unlucky) but I've found the inline unit stops the very fine "sludgy" stuff that usually finds it's way way into the carburettor float chamber. And it does get fairly dirty over 3000 miles.
Yes you're correct most Moggies, like my saloon, seem to run fine without. It's just that the Traveller is in daily use and as such has more fuel fill ups.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Dizzi, my additional gauges are:

Temperature Gauge: Source: Mini 1000
Oil Pressure Gauge: Source: Mini 1000
Volt meter: Source: Jag (XJ6 / XJS - I think - I can't really remember)
Vacuum Gauge: Source: New - VDO
Tachometer: Source Jag (XJ6 / XJS) - Original numbers removed & new ones letrasetted on in the right place for a four cylinder, which means that the redline on the gauge now reads at 7500 RPM!!!
Clock: Source: Princess or early Cortina - I think - I can't really remember
Ammeter: Source Unknown

I think that in-line filters are a good idea, as I used to get a rust ridden fuel bowl on my minis which caused problems. I have 2 on my Moggy, one at the solid state pump at the rear (next to the tank) and one built into the fuel regulator. I know there's no real point in having two, it's just that the bits that I wanted to fit already had them!
57traveller
Minor Addict

Vehicle identification

Post by 57traveller »

Dizzi141 - the combination of letters and numbers which will hopefully date your car, as mentioned in another thread re brake drums, are on the lower of the two plates circled in red. On your car this plate is probably slightly smaller.