Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
winger300
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Seat bolts

Post by winger300 »

Taking the passenger seat out today, sheared off one of the bolts :(

It looks like its happened before since a previous owner seems to have bolts down a new strip of metal for which the front most bolt to screw down into.

I notice that there are a number of holes there, however the other two i could possibly use dont seem to be threaded. So whats my best course of action?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I think you will find they are threaded, but if not, use longer bolts and fit a washer and nut from underneath, I think the bolts are 5/16 BSF thread.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

You can establish if they are threaded by looking under the car to see if there is a nut welded underneath the hole. Usually there is and the hole is full of sealing gunge.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
winger300
Minor Fan

Post by winger300 »

ok, i'll have a go a just driving a bolt through all the gunge.

Thanks again for the advice
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Winger,
On my 1098 there are two sets of bolt holes - to give the passenger seat some adjustment!.
Both sets are threaded (i.e. there's a bolt welded on underneath) so you can use either set of holes.

Best course of action -as above OR carefully drill down the old bolt using a small drill and use a suitable size stud extractor (after lots of penetrating oil) to wind it out. Having a set of stud extractors almost guarantees you'll never need them!

Colin

ps remember to gunge up the unused holes or youi'll have a water feature when it rains!
Chris
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris »

remember to gunge up the unused holes or youi'll have a water feature when it rains!
ohhhhhhhh, so maybe thats where the puddles come from!

Chris
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Unlikely - Even without gunge, very little spray is going to travel directly up the hole. Enough for a very small wet patch perhaps, but not enough to soak the floor. You probably have leaking windscreen or rear screen rubbers. See the post in the 'Tips' section.