where'd the water go ?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tinker
MMOC Member: No

Post by tinker »

Help !! I've been getting mayonaise oil in my rocker cover recently, thinking its a bit of condensation I took morris out for a long drive to burn it off.... on the way I lost a lot of water from somewhere... but I can't find any evidence of a leak ... any top tips to find the rascal?!
(is there any way of ruling out that its the head gasket?.. I'm quite new to car maintenance!!)
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Lo Tinker.The water will be more inclined to leak when the engine is up to temperature
because there is more pressure.A favourite
place to leak ONLY when hot is from the water-pump,so look for a drip there. The
mayonnaise does not necessarily mean a head
gasket is leaking, short cool running gives
rise to it so did your long hot run dispel it? Willie
tinker

Post by tinker »

Hi Willie !!
ooo.. water pump...that's one thing I haven't checked... I'll do that later... the mayonaise seems to have subsided since my long drive, but this morning I have noticed water in my filler cap... is a bit of condensation normal?
tuning72
Minor Friendly

Post by tuning72 »

Hi
Firstly bring the water temp. up to normal.
(Make sure termostat is open by checking heater hose for temp.) WITH heater valve open. Allow to cool slightly till safe to remove rad. cap CAREFULLY. Then do pressure test. A garage will normally carry out test quite cheaply. Run engine during test briefly (This checks w/pump).
Any external leaks are easy to spot(don`t forget interior heater).
Condensation or "Salad" cream? Working temp, Type engine oil (Detergent),Engine "Breathing"(check side cover trap)and hoses. Sometimes garaging conditions,(concrete,tin roof etc;) I always have had a carpet in my w/shop,garage?
Not so daft as it sounds!
A Cyl. compression test will sort out head gasket. But don`t forget to check dipstick for signs of water.....another book...Ivor..
tinker

Post by tinker »

thanks so much for your help ... I'll try out your top tips this weekend !!