Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MColes
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Wing Mirrors

Post by MColes »

Most probably been asked before but I can't find it. :oops:

How do I stand legally not having any wing mirrors on my moggy? :-?
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

You can stand wherever you like. :)

You only need the interior mirror for the MOT and I'm not even sure when that became a legal requirement
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i think you will find that at least an overtaking mirror on drivers side is a legal requirement, tho may stand to be corrected
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The legal requirement is 2 rear facing mirrors. This car be either 2 wing mirrors or 1 wing mirror and 1 interior mirror. However, my Moggie passed with just the interior mirror (1957 model) so I don't know if the law is date specific.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

AFAIK it is date related, and since (in the case of theMog) all the vehickes left the factory without wing mirrors, they don't need them. I found some regs for y'all, but I don't have the time or intelligence to decipher them :(
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20053165.htm
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

from memory (after 30 years in the plod) and a long time retired,A saloon requires one mirror, a dual purpose,ie estate or commercial requires at least two rear views one on each wing or door or one inside and one on the offside wing or door.So I think a traveller,dual purpose ,would require two but all saloons would require only one.But don't quote me on this ,I have the regulations but can't be bothered to read them again.brings back memorys of work,feel sick now after the work word,might have to go back to bed :D :D
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I'll agree with that. Saloons built before the regs came in, ie all of them, require only an interior mirror, unless used for towing, and commercial and dual purpose vehicles, ie travellers require two wing or door mounted mirrors, (one on each side!) as the interior mirror can be obstructed by the load in the vehicle.
Whether you wish to dig holes in your wings to comply with the regs. is up to you.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

*Sigh*

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_810.htm

That's a very useful site (again..) for this kind of question :)

The basic answer is a Minor needs one rear facing mirror. So if you've got the interior/ rear view one, then you don't *need* a wing/ door one. However, you might still want one so you can have a better idea what's going on around you!
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

As I suggested then - and thank you for the URL :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very useful URL - and no mention of 'dual purpose' vehicles! I have to say though - I find my wing mounted mirrors very useful on the Traveller, wouldn't be without them.
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

I once had a tester try and fail my lowlight for not having a wing/door mirror. I was doubtful about this and suggested that it might be ok (thought I stood a chance as it had managed the last 50 odd years without one) so he looked it up and found the 'pre 1978' mention in the testers manual :)

As for driving, well, up to you. I find rotating my head and glancing over my shoulder when pulling out or overtaking to negate the need for a mirror. I never bother fitting extra mirrors if the car hasn't got them (especially if its original) though when adjusted right they are quite useful at times.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!