Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rogerb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Storage

Post by rogerb »

Some advice needed please.

I am going away for 6 months (no, not at her majesty's pleasure!) and I am looking for advice on what to do with my minor.

My initial thoughts were:
Disconnect battery
Fill petrol tank (to avoid condensation?)
Jack up front and back and sit on axle stands
Cover with breathable indoor cover.

Anything else I should be doing/not doing?
Cheers
Roger

Post by aupickup »

release hand brake
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ideally - put a squirt of oil down each bore and turn it over. Then shove an oil soaked rag up the exhaust pipe - and something over the air intake - to keep moisture out. Leave windows slightly open too! I assume it has anti-feeze in the rad - and may be an idea to remove the battery and keep it inside the house -under the stairs ? For 6 months it should be ok - for longer I would suggest propping the clutch pedal down - to stop the plate sticking to the flywheel.
ImageImage
alfaalfie911

Re: Storage

Post by alfaalfie911 »

My new moggy traveller, purchased as a none runner has been stood for 8 years, we got the engine running today but when you engage the clutch pedal it strains the engine as such, lowers the rev's, i take it the clutch plate has stuck to the flywheel then :oops: Its there an easy / cheap fix, or is it a new clutch chaps? Thanks Alfie :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

First move is to run the engine for a good half hour to an hour and let the heat soak through into the flywheel and clutch. Sometimes that is enough. If not - you can then try flooring the clutch - and towing the car in second gear to see if that free's it off, or even just try starting it in gear - but make sure there is a clear path in front! If nothing seems to work - you may have to lift the engine out (far easier than dropping the gearbox) and free it off manually.
ImageImage
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

As BMC says, get it nice and warm, switch off, engage first and, with all the brakes off, start the engine while keeping the clutch pedal depressed. Either the clutch will come free with a bang or the car will hop along, make sure you have room! If there is space drive it, still keeping the clutch down, it will probably free off if you blip the throttle a few times.

Another way, ideal if you are short of space is to jack up the rear of the car and support the rear axle on some good stands. Chock the front wheels and start up in gear, again while holding the clutch down. You can rub the brakes on and off. This way has never failed me!

Some cars seen prone to the clutch sticking like this. My last B would do it if it was left for a week.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

Charge the battery up fully using a battery charger.
alfaalfie911

Post by alfaalfie911 »

Cheers gents, sorted it out today :D MOT next :D
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

nothing to do with me but if you're going away and garaging it, why not sorn it and then mot it when you come back?

:D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ehhh? It's a car that has been standing for 8 years - going back on the road..........
ImageImage
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

loll i was reading the first post .. thought someone wanted to store their moggie. thanks for clearing that up.

:o