By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kevin »

Lee would not East Sussex Minors have been nearer and good on most prices
http://www.morrisminorspares.co.uk/
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Lee,
if you really must lift the back, blocks won't work as the axle is above the spring, blocks lower the car. There are two ways to raise it, either have the springs re-cambered or fit longer links at the rear of the spring. Quite easy to fabricate if you have some workshop facilities, just make sure that the steel is at least as thick as the original and bend a flange along the length to stiffen them. I don't really think it will help with speed bumps though and will do nothing for the handling.

Alec
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

bath close to fareham.....maybe i've missed something but im sure it really isn't that close......
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You are not wrong Lee I just did a quick check and Bath is 74 miles against East Sussex`s 84 miles, I must admit I was surprised.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

You are not wrong Lee I just did a quick check and Bath is 74 miles against East Sussex`s 84 miles, I must admit I was surprised
Personally I would prefer the drive to East Sussex. I wouldn't want to drive a moggy along the A36 to Bath too often. it's got to be one of the country's worst roads for accidents and has loads of HGVs in a hurry.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

driving to east suusex is nice (as in not too bad....) i havent done it in the mog tho......
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
shymoggie
Minor Fan

Post by shymoggie »

maxlee wrote: any idears on that bonnit i see?

from lee
I wonder if you mean the entire 'flip' front, which means the whole front (bonnet, wings & front grill are one peice and hinge forwards.) I think this panel is available from Smith & Deakin plastics ?

This is a one piece front
http://members.fortunecity.com/minorman ... al_308.jpg

The really flash way of doing it is like this, still retaining the standard steel front end and hinging it from the front - although working on the car must be a bit of a pig !
http://members.fortunecity.com/minorman ... html#title
Ems & Jim

[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/SHYMOG1.jpg[/img]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

use removable hinge pins for when you need to do more than check the oild and water. Then wip the pins out and take the whole thing off.
shymoggie
Minor Fan

Post by shymoggie »

Them be porky 911 lights... thinking of pricing some up for shy...... probably more than the car cost..... EACH !
Ems & Jim

[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/SHYMOG1.jpg[/img]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

911 Headlamps £76 each for the aftermarket. (About £100 for genuine) Add to that the cost of the headlamp bowls and the bezel - yes a lot more than the price of a non MOT'd car...
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Lee,
it is not so simple to put the axle on top of the springs. There is a locating plate on the axle and a pin on the bottom of the spring. Maybe, just maybe you could invert the bolt come locating pin that clamps the spring together. Remove the differential and the brake backplates then put the axle back upside down on top of the springs. Refit the differential and brakes. (If you do this and leave the differential in you'll have a one speed forward and four speed reverse car).
The easy way as I said many posts ago is to extend the rear shackles. Sorry but I still think you are mad.

Alec
Cam

Post by Cam »

the plan is to put the axil under the springs insted of on top.
Apart from the factors mentioned above, the car's handling will be truely awful and it will more than likely suffer from really bad axle tramp. Don't do it. It will ruin the car. The axle also has hypoid gears (offset) so if you invert the axle the pinion will not be running in oil. also the breather will be on the bottom and the oil will leak out!

It would be better to cut the mountings off from the bottom and weld them to the top, but you would also have to extend the brake flexi pipe and have the propshaft extended by an engineering firm.

A LOT of hassle for a car that would be a right pain to drive and very dangerous round bends!

Best bet is to put longer shackle plates on (as previously mentioned) and lower the front to enhance the effect.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Sorry lee, we've all had an mot failure, but four times!! The last thing I'd have on my mind is porsche headlamps!