Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Windscreen Wiper Problem

Post by bmcecosse »

Lboy - I can only agree - but how confusing for them to specify '100 degrees' - and it's NOT!
ImageImage
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

It is indeed confusing (for me anyway)! I have just ordered a 90 degree motor gearwheel and will see how it goes.

I found this guide http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/wiper-systems/ which says that the wheelboxes do indeed affect the amount of wiper travel. The wheelbox most often used in combination with the Lucas 14W is the 32-tooth wheelbox. Less common is the 40-tooth which gives a reduced sweep. I took the cover off one of my clap-hands wheelboxes and it only has 22 teeth so this may explain why the 'gearing' and wiper travel is so different ...
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

I have just received and installed the new 90 degree wheel and it gives the correct sweep, so at last my wiper project is finished! I now have intermittent (delay settable between 3 and 30 seconds), slow and fast all through a headlight pull/twist/pull switch with the 'W' knob on. Also have wash/wipe through a separate sprung toggle switch. Here's a photo:

[frame]Image[/frame]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

LaughingBoy wrote:It is indeed confusing (for me anyway)! I have just ordered a 90 degree motor gearwheel and will see how it goes.

I found this guide http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/wiper-systems/ which says that the wheelboxes do indeed affect the amount of wiper travel. The wheelbox most often used in combination with the Lucas 14W is the 32-tooth wheelbox. Less common is the 40-tooth which gives a reduced sweep. I took the cover off one of my clap-hands wheelboxes and it only has 22 teeth so this may explain why the 'gearing' and wiper travel is so different ...
first of all glad you got it fixed with a 90 wheel

the wheelboxes do affect the travel but this is in combination with the rack so changing between a 32 and a 40 - tooth wheel box running on the same rack would indeed change the travel. but as you did not change the rack or the wheelbox this would not change, the only thing to change was the wheel which pulls / pushs the rack slightly further.

the logic that 100 is 100 is not the full story because we are changing from a 100 single speed to a 100 twin speed and it could be that lucas modified things as a "whole" and it might explain the reason that a 100 single speed wheel will not fit a twin speed box to avoid just this problem. ( just me thinking out loud )
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

Yes indeed Charlie - we know this now but all the information I managed to find before I did the conversion simply stated that to convert clap-hand wipers to twin-speed you need a 100 deg wheel and this is not the case. Evidently the wheelboxes / no of teeth etc affect the gearing which makes perfect sense.

Meanwhile where's the rain gone :cry: :wink:

Graham
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Can I add to this "completed" topic?

The Wipers on my Traveller work fine. They park correctly and for the most part push the raindrops away as they are supposed to do.
However, similar to early comments the RHS wiper underside catches on the windscreen rubber at its right most extent and then of course lifts off leaving the last few cm unwiped. Also the left and right wiper do not overlap in the middle of the windscreen such that an unwiped area exists there. This could be how it was designed.

The wiper itself, as connected to the arm is not central. Again this is probably designed that way for having its c of g correct. I perceive however, that were the long section above , rhater than below this fixing point then the wiper would not foul the windscrenn rubber at all.

Before I make an attempt to change this in some way - have I missed something?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You may have an incorrect blade on the arm. Any chance of a picture??
ImageImage
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

LaughingBoy wrote:I have just received and installed the new 90 degree wheel and it gives the correct sweep, so at last my wiper project is finished! I now have intermittent (delay settable between 3 and 30 seconds), slow and fast all through a headlight pull/twist/pull switch with the 'W' knob on. Also have wash/wipe through a separate sprung toggle switch. Here's a photo:

[frame]Image[/frame]
Any chance of you spilling the beans about how you wired this up? From what I've seen on the 'net you need a couple of relays to make this work. Is this the case?
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

bmcecosse wrote:You may have an incorrect blade on the arm. Any chance of a picture??
That would not surprise me as so many things on the car have been bodged through by previous owners. - wrong sender unit on the petrol tank, wrong fuel gauge,; even the clutch mechanism was not for a 1098. The list gets ever bigger but in some ways it is quite satisfying correcting each one and making it little by little somewhat better.

This afternoon by coincidence I am meeting a chap from Dortmund who has a minor saloon - will have a peep - and maybe see. Otherwise pic to follow.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

Hi Twincamman
Yes I wired it up with 2 relays - they are the two small black boxes in the photo mounted behind the wiper motor (one is partially hidden by the petrol filter). They are only needed if you want to use an original Morris pull/twist/pull sidelight/headlight switch with the 'W' knob on - the relays replicate the function of the 2-speed dash-mounted switch. There is also a gizmo called 'Smartscreen' for the intermittent and wash/wipe which is the grey rectangular box at right rear of picture. I'm not in UK at the moment but will try and dig out the wiring diagram when I get back.