I'm Not Alright Jack!

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sloopjohnrb »

New member here. Recently acquired stunning 1962 Moggie but it lacks a jack.
When attempting to buy a jack I've received
conflicting advice: Scissor jacks are useless/useful, and trolley jacks are useless/useful.
I need a jack that will not only enable wheel changing but to facilitate MINOR jobs such as axle oil level, servicing etc.
Please will anyone advise me as to what's best and what type of jacks they use?
Also, is it correct that the original jack as supplied by Morris in unobtainable ?
Thanks and best wishes.
John
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

I am sure that most long-time Morris-Minor owners have several of the original jacks in their sheds and garages. They are OK but are best used together with a suitable socket on a ratchet handle rather than the original wheelbrace. I also have another jack which probably came from an Austin Cambridge or similar. This has a little handle attached to it which you can turn round. The main advantage that these jacks have is that you can use them while you are standing up. A minor disadvantage is that they are not very efficient. A major disadvantage is that if your crossmember is getting a bit rusty then the jacking points may break off while you have the car jacked up. This can be embarassing especially if you have taken a wheel off when it happens.

With other types of jack it is best to place it either under the back axle for the rear wheels or at the front of the chassis leg for the front wheels.

A trolley jack is the easiest to use because you don't have to get under the car to position it but it takes up a lot of room in your boot. I have one in my garage.

A scissor jack is very light and only takes up a little room however it can be difficult to use and is not very efficient. It can be useful to have one tucked away as a spare if the original jacking system fails.

I personally use a small hydraulic jack (or bottle jack I think!) in the car which just fits in the back with the spare tyre and tools. The only problem is that you have to get underneath the car to use it so I carry an old blanket to lie on.[ This Message was edited by: newagetraveller on 28-05-2002 22:30 ]
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Hello and thanks for the data.
I have a bottle type jack that's unused but I really don't trust it to take the weight.
I may opt for a trolley jack for minor servicing, and carry the bottle jack just for emergencies.
Do you find bottle jacks OK?
Thanks again,
JOHN
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I rather like bottle jacks, they can be positioned accurately and they can have the top platform adapted to suit your favoured jacking point, simply by making a selection of 'tops' that fit over the original. Of course some of these jacks, whilst giving a good amount of lift, might not fit under the car to start with, and those that do may not give enough lift. Although I have found that on a moggy not a great deal of lift is required to change a wheel, especially on the back. Cast bottle jacks seem the most solid and have a sturdy base. The original van jack was of the bottle type but with a screw thread not hydraulic.
les.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Yep, I use a bottle jack for emergencies (due to the size) and a trolley jack & axle stands for other non-emergency repairs.

I have never experienced a problem with either except when the jack oil level is low or the seals are on their way out. But this only usually ocurrs on old and worn out units anyway!

Get one of each (good quality new ones) and you should have no problems, and they will last for a long time. Well worth the investment.
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Hello all and many thanks for your help with the question of a suitable jack/jacks for my Moggie.
I've decided to follow the consensus and have today bought a trolley jack for minor servicing, and have placed the bottle jack in the boot for puncture-incidents.
I am most grateful for all the advice, thanks again.
JOHN
an_avenger
Minor Fan

Post by an_avenger »

Well here's some advice - when i bought my Mog it came with it's original jack (you know the one you shove into the jack point and crack with the crank handle!) I did that any my bloody jack point tore right off the car and bounced back down. That was an expensive break check i must say...so I would check where the jack is going first to see if old ferrous oxide has settled on iron carbide. Chemistry...ahhh Uni here we come

8)

Lee and Pidg (PDG 457G)