Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jcrtd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

do minors suffer from oversteer?

Post by jcrtd »

Hi all
Just finished a restoration on a Traveller, fitted new radials (Bridgestone) and the car seems to oversteer. Maybe I am used to neutral cars. Any opinions anyone.
John :-?[frame]Image[/frame]
polo2k
Minor Addict

Re: do minors suffer from oversteer?

Post by polo2k »

All (ok, most) Minors are RWD so oversteer is always an option ;) its worth checking all the suspension pickups are solid, all boltwork has been tightened correctly (bolts in bushes tightened when the weight is on them) Check your tyre pressures, minors are very light so they are succeptable to wrong pressures.

What work did you do in the resto: could there be a misalignment somewhere.

Give us a bit more info and we may be able to help :)
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Minors naturally understeer - but Travellers do have harder rear springs and may go into oversteer on the limit.... Be sure to inflate the radial tyres to 30 or even 32 psi at the rear. Worth checking the front wheel tracking is correct.
ImageImage
jcrtd
Minor Friendly

Post by jcrtd »

Hi
I did some welding the spring shackles both ends and replaced the rubber bushes. I'll check for loose bits but just passed the MOT so shouldn't be anything obvious. Will up the tyre pressures. The oversteer isn't bad it may just that I am used to none.
Thanks
John
jcrtd
Minor Friendly

Post by jcrtd »

Hi again
Forgot to mention that alignment shouldn't be a problem from the work I did and I will check the front alignment.
Thanks
John
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

if you're used to driving modern cars, which are designed to give a bit of understeer on the limit to warn you that you're getting silly, then depending what car it is you've probably been going around roundabouts quicker than you would/should in a minor.

i spent my first year of driving in a renault clio, that would handle like it was on rails, and when it started to let go, the front would just start to run wide and lifting off gently would make it grip again (which is how it's designed to work for people that get scared when it understeers and panic and lift off).

when i then got my minor i was somewhat used to how the clio handled, and not prepared for the minors handling with 155 tyres and wet roundabouts. you do have to spend the first few weeks/months recalibrating your brain. if it's wet, and you're going round a tight roundabout then you really can't do more than 15mph without the back stepping out, especially if you're a bit early on the power!

and in answer to the question 'do minors suffer from oversteer?', no. They relish it! :D
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

I think it was stirling moss who once said that he loved the minor because you could drive it absolutly on the limit without the local constabulary raising an eyebrow :D

Some of the modified guys pull off some impressive powerslides :D hopefully ill be joining that club in the next year or so :D 170+ ponies should make that a reality :D

Spend some time on quiet roads getting used to how the car feels throughout the grip range, try to feel which bit of the "wobblyness" is in the tyres, which bit is the weight transfering. by getting used to how it all feels at different points in the transition of grip you will find out where its going wrong.

For example, if you can confidently determine that the initial slip angle is due to the tyres rolling and scrubbing then you can concentrate on that angle. if you find that the front is rolling and inducing wierd camber then you can look at stiffening things up (you will get shot down if you mention that on here but if you have identified that that area needs attention then the best way to learn is by tring it, YOU may prefer it while others dont ;) )

Be careful not to upset anyone while grip testing. its also worth getting used to the feel when braking hard. If you are used to the feeling when she slips, you will find it easier to cope when it really matters in a realworld situation
- Ash
Image Image Image
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

http://youtu.be/ooBJ2Z2sZvo
Tiff Nedell hooning in a minor

http://youtu.be/ndt2TmY2mAg
Mother of god in his V8 mmmm:D

http://youtu.be/wCMBE4bhm1o
this is drifting but a bit "odd"

http://youtu.be/VYpOFimB7ZA
Im not sure if this guy needs more medication, or less, but hes definitely one sandwich short of a picnic
- Ash
Image Image Image
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

As said above just drive your car sensibly and it won't over steer! If it is oversteering you are driving too fast.

If you want to go fast around corners get a sports car and go on a track day. I've never found my Traveller ever over steered, except when I first got it and it had crossply tyres all round and did oversteer a little on wet roundabouts. It doesnt do that now on radials but then I'm not a mad driver.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
jcrtd
Minor Friendly

Post by jcrtd »

Been away but now back. Thanks for the replies, although I did think that one of the replies was a bit too much! I checked various things, bushes, steering etc and I think the main problem was under inflated tyres. They are new Bridgestone
tyres and the tyre place suggested 25psi but from your comments 30 or 32 would be better and that was the answer.
Thanks again for advice and the forum helps again!
John
jcrtd
Minor Friendly

Post by jcrtd »

Hi again
Just read a guide to tyre pressure in a pull out in the Practical Classics magazine and the pressure they recommend for Bridgestones on aMinor is 24psi? Won't be doing that but the chart can be misleading.
John
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Typical Pratical Classics nonsense........
ImageImage
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

If the tracking is set quite toe out they can feel very unstable in corners. Of course they should be slightly toe in.