Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: radiator muff

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks!

It is Mist Green, a colour not actually used until later but that is the colour "She" wanted, so on it went. The car was probably originally Romain Green and it was an export car to Aus, so the colour changed a few times over the years. The numberplate also used to belong to an MM saloon before Carlo put it onto this car.

I made the lower dash panel to match the curve of the top. I now need to make another since I've finally found a correct matching ammeter to go with the temp gauge that currently rests under the dash.

In that photo of the front of the car, the red cable is what pulls the rollerblind up.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

docgibbons
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by docgibbons »

seems a bit pricey to me. not sure what i paid for mine now, but not as much as £65.
as for fitting instructions, good luck trying. i have attached a photo demonstrating an alternative method for fixing to the radiator grille, which may not look very attractive, but it certainly cuts down on the expletives whilst fitting.
Attachments
rad muff 2a.jpg
rad muff 2a.jpg (164.34 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

M4 penny washers on grille badge fittings, about right!
20171127_124026.jpg
20171127_124026.jpg (110.83 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Docgibbons, isn't your 'muff' on the wrong way round. Should that hole on the RHS not be in front of the fresh air intake (LHS) which joins the 'Elephant Trunk' hose?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Upside down, innit. :D
Cardiff, UK
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

funny you should say that, i was approached by a nice chap in a car park yesterday, who did the usual of saying how he used to have one, and what year was it, where did i get it, and how much did i pay etc, and after a nice chat he finished off by saying: "by the way, i've an idea that radiator muff may be the wrong way round." so between you, i think that must be right. i'll get it turned round.
BTW, is it important to have the breather hole on the correct side? before i fitted the muff i had cardboard down the front of the rad, which would have obstructed the fresh air intake. i keep my eye on the temperature gauge, but would an obstructed fresh air intake be not advisable?
with the muff fitted incorrectly, the temperature gets up to between 85 and 90, but no higher than 90.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I am not sure it really matters as regards the amount of fresh air in the 'cab'. There are, even with new door seals etc, so many places where the wind howls through - esp at 'speed'!
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

i know what you mean. i used to drive a convertible in the winter, 948 cc and barely capable of doing 60mph, but by eck it was draughty. even with a blanket and bobble hat inside the cabin i carried a survival kit in the boot, consisting of hot water bottle, primus stove, spare gas canisters, electric kettle, mug, spoon, and packet soup. i once had what is known as a frank exchange of words with some jobsworth at a motorway services when she objected to me using Mr Moto's electric plug to boil my kettle in that small room they have for fruit machines. what a twerp.
this one's had an upgraded heater, amongst other things, but it still needs the muff and/or cardboard to get the temperature up on a frosty day.
by the way, what do people with winter thermostats (88degree?) think of their effectiveness?
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I used to have a muff like that fitted but an 88deg. thermo sorted it out and I havn't had any problems so far. I did forget to open the muff up once and arrived in Hull with water coming out of the rad. overflow when I stopped!!
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

can you leave the 88 degree thermostat on all year round? or do you need to change it back to a lower one again in summer?
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Dear Doc,
I've been running with a 89C thermostat for years both summer and winter, in summer in ambient 27-28C towing a trailer at 60-65 mph (true) without overheating and in the winter using the rad blanks I pictured above. Of course, in winter the heater's nearly always on.
So I'm sure that with a standard 1098 you'll have no trouble all year round and in winter have the advantage of good heater output. Remember, with the standard radiator cap pressurizing to 4 psi the boiling point of water is raised to 106C (and is raised further (I think) by the addition of anti freeze) so you've more "head room" than you might first expect.
Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

sounds good to me. i'm not sure what thermostat i have, probably a standard 82, but i'll check with charles ware, who restored the car, and see what they say. if i can run all year with an 88 i'll probably have one fitted, and use the muff as well in the cold weather.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-AUSTIN-M ... SwhChZswFG

Not sure which vehicle but very much like the one I bought as NOS.
Cardiff, UK