Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

radiator muff

Post by cadetchris »

how do these fit to the grille?

i have found one, but i thought they came with some sort of fixings that clipped onto the grille and then the muff onto them.

i could be over complicating it and it could be simply tied on.
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: radiator muff

Post by chrisryder »

if you post a pic, someone might have a similar item and know how to fit it!
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

here is a link to it, ebay find i am afraid http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0906845732
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

In the era the Moggy is from a 'radiator muff' would have been a piece of cardboard or later, tin foil, none of this fancy stuff :D
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

No in fact they did radiator muffs especially designed for the Minor. An aftermarket purchase from a dealer.

These are now available again reproduced by The Birmingham Minor Centre £77ish :D (advert back page of Minor Matters)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

and thats the reason i want an older one. cannot really justify £70 on one item.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Your link wouldnt work for me but the one I have fits on with a small threaded screw into a flat bar like the ones you fit an AA badge to the grill with. :-?

Too many Minors so little time.....
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

do you really need one why not remove the fan blades would that not do the trick :-?
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

i've got one with the threaded screw fittings, but never have found a way to fit them on.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I have achieved the effect by inserting a piece of plywood over half of the radiator. This slots in place between the car and front panel. Used to leave it in all winter
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Back when the Austin FX4 was virtually the only black cab in London, they could be seen in winter with pieces of white plastic covering half the rad grille. Was rumoured they were made from tea-trays pinched by cabbies from the old green wooden taxi-drivers snack-bars ('cab-mens shelters') that were once familiar sights around central London :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I face the same dilemma. I think grille badge fixings and some penny washers will work but I'm yet to try it.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

i've now fitted the "proper" radiator muff, but with string, as cannot fathom the washer/screw fittings at all. it works ok, and the temperature gauge gets up to around 80-85. however, the cardboard method seems to be even more efficient, if less pretty. if i blank off around two thirds of the grille, i get a temperature of 90-95, and the air really does blow hot. i might try a combination of the muff/cardboard when the weather really gets cold, and generally experiment to get the optimum heat without hitting boiling point. the advantage of the muff, of course, is that you can just unclip one of the two square pads, or both, to allow more air in.
i'm not sure whether an 88 degree thermostat is necessary with the cardboard fitted. would it then be just too hot?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Although not a Minor Muff (Shades of Ginger Bush here !) This article from an MGA site may be of use as it shows the fittings, which as , I think Palacebear said are very like those use to hold AA, RAC and car club badges

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/accessories/at124.htm
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I can't accept credit for someone else's words. The post about badge-fittings was contributed by Monty-4, not yours truly :D
1956 4-door called Max
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

There is nothing like a muff for keeping you warm and toasty in the winter, watch you don't overheat though :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I've got an original BMC rad roller blind on our 1949 and my 1964 uses a Cornflake box cut open. Both seem to work really well on a cold day.
Cardiff, UK
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Regarding stuffing bits down into the slot in front of the radiator, please below a couple of hardboard blanks I've used for some years that use holes cut in them that line up more or less with the fan. The one on the right has a hole of 12 inches, the diameter of the fan and that on the left is 10 inches i.e. of 30% less area. (That's 30mm and 25mm respectively; inch by inch I'm going metric!)
I've found that from about the end of November till Easter when the temperature is below 12-15C I should use the 12 inch hole blank, and if the temp often goes below 5-7C (I live in a notorious frost pocket) then the 10 inch hole is better. But a coolant temperature gauge is advisable with the smaller hole. I've found no speed restriction necessary for these blanks or, of course, any overheating in traffic or when idling.
But please note that these blanks are covering the starting handle hole!
Regards, MikeN.
Attachments
IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG (92.68 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

DSC01012.jpg
DSC01012.jpg (265.75 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Ignore the numberplate in the way...there is the rad roller bling that is operated from the cabin. There is a slotted thngy under the dash and a chain comes through the hole and slots into a groove so you can hold the blind at any selected level.
low1a.jpg
low1a.jpg (200.59 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Cardiff, UK
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Rob, that is really beautiful. I particularly like the matching instrument under-dash mirroring the shape of the original. What is the colour ?