Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tudge
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Kidney panel card mounting?

Post by Tudge »

Sorry about this, it's yet another question!

I'm planning to mount speakers in the front kidney panels like I've seen many people do, but I can't figure out how to fix the new kidney panel card (which will be considerably heavier with speaker mounted to it) to the car.

The one's I removed were just held in by small metal clips along the longest side of the card, but have 4 holes through them, which have corresponding holes in the car. Can I put screws through into the car to mount the cards? If so, what type of screw do I need? Or are the metal clips the way to go?

Thankyou everyone!
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Kidney panel card mounting?

Post by mike.perry »

Self tapping screws into the A post
[sig]3580[/sig]
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

Cracking, thanks.

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

The cards are normally held along the rear edge by wrapping the vinyl around the A-post and then securing with the clips that retain the draught excluder. They are retained along the front edge by the carpet over the wheel arch; and also by the parcel shelf that pushes the panel against the side of the car. Yes. you can use additional screws, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It is necessary if you are fitting heavier hardboard panels with speakers
[sig]3580[/sig]
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

I think screws will be needed, the speakers are going to add alot more weight. Thanks for your help everyone

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Tudge I've asked elsewhere on this board but can you tell me the depth of the kidney panel so I can decide on speaker size please?

Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

Sorry I really can't help you there, I'm planning to mount the speakers in this sortof way: http://www.instructables.com/id/Fibergl ... -Speakers/
So to me the depth available is irrelevant so I haven't measured it. But from just looking at it, I would say the depth available in the recess is about 40mm, but as I say, I'm really not sure...
I would suggest just getting in there with a ruler and measuring the depth, all you need is a small gap between the back of the speaker and the metal of the car so the speaker doesn't stick to the metal from the magnetism.

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I have those Kenwood 20 w speakers in the kidney panels in my car. There is enough clearance behind then without touching the metal panel. They are mounted straight into the vinyl panel (speaker behind panel - grille screwed on front). Have been there years without any problems.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think the answer will be to stick the speakers to the panel with the magnets!! What I don't understand is this rush for noise - when the noise made by the engine etc will drown out any artificial additional noise at anything much above walking pace...
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Tudge wrote:Sorry I really can't help you there, I'm planning to mount the speakers in this sortof way: http://www.instructables.com/id/Fibergl ... -Speakers/
So to me the depth available is irrelevant so I haven't measured it. But from just looking at it, I would say the depth available in the recess is about 40mm, but as I say, I'm really not sure...
I would suggest just getting in there with a ruler and measuring the depth, all you need is a small gap between the back of the speaker and the metal of the car so the speaker doesn't stick to the metal from the magnetism.
Thanks for your reply, I've now received the answer-- it is around the 50mm mark.

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

simmitc wrote:The cards are normally held along the rear edge by wrapping the vinyl around the A-post and then securing with the clips that retain the draught excluder. They are retained along the front edge by the carpet over the wheel arch; and also by the parcel shelf that pushes the panel against the side of the car. Yes. you can use additional screws, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
Series 2s use small self tappers and don't wrap round the A post edge as they are plain fibre board not trimmed, so easy enough to replicate this.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

As an option I mounted speakers under the glove boxes as photos.

Apologies for my usual rough metalwork but the interior is still as original which is the plan as I 'upgrade'.

Pete[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Now how on earth can you hear the fuel pump ticking and listen to that rap with a silent C at the same time?
Where angels fear to tread
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

bmcecosse wrote:I think the answer will be to stick the speakers to the panel with the magnets!!
- Can tend to mess up the sound of the speakers, otherwise it would be great!
bmcecosse wrote:What I don't understand is this rush for noise
- I'm a teenage bloke! I can't break the stereotype even if I am in a moggy - I need some speakers to play my excessively loud, repetitive dance music. :roll:

Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Tudge,

Don't cut the door cards if you can avoid it and care for originality - entirely your call however.

There's a huge hole in the dashboard soffit that will take downward facing speakers.

If you drive in time with the music the petrol pump acts like a metronome - radical :wink:

Pete
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

My radio picks up the interference from the fuel pump- Thus if I turn up the volume, the ticking gets louder :lol: :lol:

Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

Boris64 wrote: There's a huge hole in the dashboard soffit that will take downward facing speakers.

If you drive in time with the music the petrol pump acts like a metronome - radical :wink:
It's when the music and the indicator ticker end up in time that I am most satisfied...

And as for the kidney panel card cutting - I do know where you mean, but I don't like the idea of having the speakers facing straight down, plus my car's already lost a fair bit of it's originality, the previous owner has done a fair bit of bodged 'restoration' work on her.. And I'll keep the original cards anyway, I'm making new ones for the speakers to go into!

Boris64
Minor Fan

Post by Boris64 »

Tudge,

your car, your call.

My efforts to stay original took a hit as the driving test requires seats with permanent head rests :cry:

I now have MX-5 seats with speakers in the head rest :) :) and with my wiring skills have achieved quad speakers and mono output.

Pete
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

You could make up a box like this:

And/or cut into metal under rear seat like this: