Re: Fitting metalastic eyebolt bushes

Post by M25VAN »

Fingers crossed for a good price.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Spoke with IN Racing this morning and they had two in stock which I have purchased. I did ask them if it was possible to obtain more and they have come back to me saying that they can get another qty 5 but that will be it. They will be £19.45 inc VAT each plus postage.
If you want a pair or more the Web link is above with telephone number.

As regards K.H. Damenen - I just keep getting 'e' mail delivery failure notification so it looks as if that is a non starter!!!

I have not yet had a reply from the FKK distributer.

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi Phil

I'm pleased you have finally been rewarded for all your efforts.

I would have thought that you would have bought 3 given that you already have one :roll:

Don
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Don
Thanks for your comments.
When I purchased the two I was not aware that they could get the extra five so yes I will be purchasing three (now plus one leaving only qty 3 available) but I will not give up until all supply channels for FMK5137/37 bushes have been identified or exhausted. So watch this space.
Declan
I will still have the qty 4 FMK5137/38 bushes if you manage to get them manufactured.
Regards
Phil

M25VAN
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by M25VAN »

philthehill wrote:Spoke with IN Racing this morning and they had two in stock which I have purchased. I did ask them if it was possible to obtain more and they have come back to me saying that they can get another qty 5 but that will be it. They will be £19.45 inc VAT each plus postage.
If you want a pair or more the Web link is above with telephone number.

As regards K.H. Damenen - I just keep getting 'e' mail delivery failure notification so it looks as if that is a non starter!!!

I have not yet had a reply from the FKK distributer.
Glad you finally got some. Strange that Inracing can source another 5 only. Looks like these are the last few available and that maybe they haven't been made for a while... :(
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

M25van
Yes it looks increasingly like supplies have dried up but I will still support Declan in his quest for manufacture of the bushes.
We do need increased interest in the use of these bushes otherwise there is no point in going forward!!!!!
Yes I know there has been lots of views regarding this subject but not many shouts of 'I will buy qty X if they become available'. At £19.45 from IN Racing they are expensive compared to the poly bush but as I have said before they are very nearly fit and forget.
Still no reply from FKK.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Phil,
The bush arrived this morning-thanks. I also had a word with my Turkish workmate just before lunch and we will contact FKK directly this afternoon.
What's the difference between the FMK5137/38 bushes?
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Declan
Thanks for the confirmation re the bush.
There is no difference between bushes FMK5137 and the FMK5138. Similar to Minor suspension bush SUS104 and SUS720, same bush but different part numbers. See the extract from Minor Matters July/August 1993 above.
Good luck with the FKK enquiry.
Regards
Phil

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

My mate phoned the FKK factory and also their office. They are wholsalers only and did not show any interest in small orders.
So another blind alley.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Declan
Many thanks for you and your colleagues efforts.
I will continue my efforts and try and find a retailer who is prepared to supply the bush in small numbers. At least we know that the bush is out there.
Phil

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I'm not trying to make work for anyone, but I would be interested to know what is the minimum size order for FKK.

There may be some enterprising person/club/business that would be prepared to put in a sizeable order.

So... from that perspective, FKK may not be a blind alley.

Don
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

My mate rang the FKK factory again about an hour ago and got sombody on the line who seems to understand the situation a bit better. He is checking the stores and will get back to us either later today or tomorrow morning with hopefully positive information. Maybe it's not a blind alley. Let's see what this guy comes up with.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I got confirmation on the size of the FMK-5138 bushes from FKK.

Outer diameter: 22.70mm
Inside diameter: 12.70mm
Length: 63.20mm

It's looking good and I hope to get pricing later today. We will find out how many they have on stock and how much they will charge for batches of ten.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

It's looking good and I hope to get pricing later today. We will find out how many they have on stock and how much they will charge for batches of ten.
Eeeexxxxcellent! (He said rubbing his hands together in the style of Mr Burns.)

Don
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Declan (and others), would it help if the new eyebolts I'm having made came with a larger hole diameter like 1 inch instead of 22mm? Are there bushes suitable for the eyebolt that would need a diameter bigger than a standard eyebolt can give?
Thanks
Rob
Cardiff, UK
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just use urethane bushes - perfectly satisfactory for all applications and a LOT less hassle...
ImageImage
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Just use urethane bushes - perfectly satisfactory for all applications and a LOT less hassle
I have to agree totally -what problem is being solved by fitting a metalastic bush? I fitted poly bushes 18 years and 55,000+ miles ago and during the recent complete dismantle, respray and reassembly, they looked as good as the day they were fitted, so have gone back.

They have been subjected to far higher loads than a standard Minor, and still show little sign of wear.
Richard

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I was only asking because there are 6 pages of people trying to get some to fit. :D
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Before the advent of Poly Bushes there were only two alternatives to the useless Minor rubber eye bolt bush and they were the Metalastic bush and the hard poly bush from Minor Mania.
The Metalastic bush was very suitable for road use after slight modification for use in the Minor eye bolt.
The hard poly bush was more suitable for smooth surface track use and they are fitted - slightly modified - in the Minor Mania negative camber eye bolts fitted to my Minor.
Now that the Poly bushes are available in various grades of hardness there is no real reason to use the Metalastic bush in the Minor front suspension eye bolt.
The Metalastic bush is suitable after slight modification for use in the rear spring eyes though.
Phil

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks. That's one option I can delete from the list.
Cardiff, UK