Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Passenger side door lock on a 2 Door

Post by Cam »

Passenger side door lock on a 2 Door.

So......... whats the best method for removal then?

I'm on about the little flip up/down catch on the door.

Stripped both my doors, except the lock/handle on the passenger side. Am I overlooking the obvious?? :o
Cam

Post by Cam »

RTFM! :wink:

Found out now. I read my Morris Workshop Manual (green & white one). Apparently there is a little spring clip below the lock mechanism that has to be prised out first then the flip catch comes out.

Will try tomorrow. Thanks for all the answers........ I could not cope with the rush!! :wink: :lol:
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Typical! went away and spent 10 minutes looking in my Haynes for the answer and you beat me to it once again Cam! :cry: :P

Lee
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Was just about to reply scathingly and then realised I might have my 'facts' wrong, so a question - do saloons/travs have a keyhole on the nearside door (I've owned lots of LCVs, which don't, but never 1 of the above!) and has anyone else heard the rumour that when LHD LCV's were exported. nobody thought about the locks, so they only had a keyed lock on the passenger side? First heard that while I was at primrary school (and yes, they were still making MM1000's then) so it may be garbage, just thought I'd ask, you know how you believe these things you learnt as a kid are true for years, then suddenly doubt yourself when the 'fact' suddenly pops into your brain again...
Cam

Post by Cam »

Welung666 wrote:Typical! went away and spent 10 minutes looking in my Haynes for the answer and you beat me to it once again Cam! :cry: :P
Thanks anyway, mate! :D
bigginger wrote:Was just about to reply scathingly and then realised I might have my 'facts' wrong, so a question - do saloons/travs have a keyhole on the nearside door
No they don't have a keyhole on the nearside door.
bigginger wrote:has anyone else heard the rumour that when LHD LCV's were exported. nobody thought about the locks, so they only had a keyed lock on the passenger side?
Yep, I heard that. Not just LCVs either! I heard it was the entire range........ might be an urban myth though.........
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

so a question - do saloons/travs have a keyhole on the nearside door
Well both mine have door locks on both sides, or have I missed something here.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello all,

my wife's Traveller (1968) has a key on both driver and passenger door. The locks are not handed, which is confusing, as you turn the key to the rear to lock the drivers door and to the front to lock the passengers. I suppose it is anti clockwise to lock but being used to my Triumph which the key is turned forward to lock either door.

Alec
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Door locks

Post by Squiggle »

Does anyone know of a way to lock the drivers door [Series MM '52 - 4door with no keyed lock on passenger side!] when inside the car please?

OK I could wind down the window and use the key but it's unsafe to drive like that incase I needed to get out quickly.

I was leaving the local country park last night and it was so dark in the car park that it occurred to me I couldn't stop anyone opening the drivers door...

Bit of paranioa I guess.

Chrissie n HUT

Series MM, 918cc side valve, 4 door saloon, split screen, spoilt monster... Birthday 14th October 1952
Cam

Post by Cam »

Kevin wrote:
so a question - do saloons/travs have a keyhole on the nearside door
Well both mine have door locks on both sides, or have I missed something here.
It seems that some do and some don't.

Our Chairman's J reg Traveller hasn't, MY J reg Traveller HAS (I assumed it hadn't, but it has after checking! :o ), Our secretary's '60 traveller hasn't, Harry Cook's '69 Traveller has.

2 Door Saloons:
Jane's '70 has, Deryk's '67 has, my '52 hasn't.

Well, it seems that officially (according to Ray Newell's Original Morris Minor book) that vehicles did not have external passenger side locks until Sept/Oct 63.

That would seem to make sense, and conclude that in the above list of vehicles, all are correct except Our chairman's traveller which must have had an earlier door fitted at some point (I'll ask him if I remember as he's had it from new).
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Does anyone know of a way to lock the drivers door [Series MM '52 - 4door with no keyed lock on passenger side!] when inside the car please?

OK I could wind down the window and use the key but it's unsafe to drive like that incase I needed to get out quickly.
Have you tried it? Normally the doors open from the inside even when locked (although I've never tried it on the really early cars) so if you are driving in downtown Detroit you can feel a bit safer.

Generally in this country you are far safer leaving the door unlocked anyway (in case of an accident someone can assist you / give first aid etc..) and wanting to lock the drivers door is mainly paranoia.
There are some places (nasty areas of some UK cities) where bag stealing can occur but the usual target is the PASSENGER door and it is very rare anyway. This is brought about by the tendency of women to put their bag on the passenger seat (in full view of ppl on the pavement) including purse, phone, credit cards etc... The boss at my last company had his laptop stolen this way, so it's not just women and handbags - it's anyone who puts stealable stuff on display on the seats.
Most early 90's cars with central locking will unlock all the doors - making it easy for opportunist thieves who would hang around traffic lights and traffic jams. Recent cars tend to have 2 stage central locking which only unlocks the drivers door - preventing easy bag stealing, although the theives probably know which models still have central locking that opens all the doors. In america, carjacking does happen in their nasty areas so central locking on the yank tanks will normally lock all the doors again when you start driving.

In the UK, the risk of theives wanting to open the drivers door whilst you are in the car / driving is pretty close to zero, (however if you are an abysmal driver you may want to protect yourself from a road rage attack and keep all the doors locked! :lol:)
Cam

Post by Cam »

Cam wrote:RTFM! :wink:

Found out now. I read my Morris Workshop Manual (green & white one). Apparently there is a little spring clip below the lock mechanism that has to be prised out first then the flip catch comes out.

Will try tomorrow.
Prise the little clip out of the bottom, pull the catch out and release the handle mechanism............ took me about 30 seconds to a minute! D'oh........ :roll:
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Aha - so it's that FM you have to R! I'm glad I've got one, I'd always wondered...
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

on modern cars with central locking the system unlocks when a sufficent inpact is detected as long as the ignition is on
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!