Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
seriesmm
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

What seats?

Post by seriesmm »

Hi, Chronic back problems affecting enjoyment of driving my 1967 Traveller, any suggestions as to what seats will fit & be more comfortable. Tom
814XUW
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: What seats?

Post by 814XUW »

I have seen that Ford KA seats fit quite well with little in the way of modification to fit.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Charles Ware do what they call 'Mark 3' seats. In leather or vinyl,and all usual colours.With headrests if wanted. I got them after major back surgery and they are great. Better than the new Golf. Only downside is reduced legroom in the back. Oh, and the cost of course. Designed to fit without any drilling etc.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Almost any seat which can be made to fit with the addition of an adapter plate will be more comfortable than the standard offering .
I once sat in a Traveller with comfortable front seats which matched the originals. I was informed that they were from a BMC 1800
[sig]3580[/sig]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

SteveClem wrote:Charles Ware do what they call 'Mark 3' seats. In leather or vinyl,and all usual colours.With headrests if wanted. I got them after major back surgery and they are great. Better than the new Golf. Only downside is reduced legroom in the back. Oh, and the cost of course. Designed to fit without any drilling etc.
Are these seats not simply bought in from Newton Commercial?
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I wrote a newsletter on fitting alternate seats..
http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/howto_Fi ... eSeats.php

if you would like a copy of the newsletter in pdf drop me a pm with your email address and i can let you have it
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I fitted a drivers seat from an MG F. Very comfortable and supportive, real leather and only a tenner from a man dismantling one locally. I had to make brackets and drill two holes in the floor. The only snag is that it doesn't tip for rear access so I haven't fitted the passenger one yet while I think up a suitable mechanism. Bolt two fixed seats to the floor and you lose your back seat!
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

We had the original seats until 2-3 years ago. During the restoration in the 90's, the seats were recovered and new webbings fitted, and we drove another ~40,000 with them all around the UK and Europe.

Eventually persuaded Sally, my wife (whose car it is), after seeing some Newton Commercial seats in a Minor at a local country fair, that fitting them would be a good idea. They are expensive, but have transformed long journeys, and also don't rock about on tracks days either!

Rear leg room is more restricted (access is OK as the back tilts forward), but if this is not a major requirement they are very supportive and comfortable - looking on their website just now the latest option is for 'heated base and squab' for an additional £60 each when ordering new seats!! Luxury or what?
Richard

gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

IslipMinor wrote:... the latest option is for 'heated base and squab' for an additional £60 each when ordering new seats!! Luxury or what?
Definitely will need an Alternator conversion for this option :)
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I fitted the Newton Commercial seats yesterday and I am really pleased. Expensive but really comfy and look the part.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

ManyMinors wrote:
SteveClem wrote:Charles Ware do what they call 'Mark 3' seats. In leather or vinyl,and all usual colours.With headrests if wanted. I got them after major back surgery and they are great. Better than the new Golf. Only downside is reduced legroom in the back. Oh, and the cost of course. Designed to fit without any drilling etc.
Are these seats not simply bought in from Newton Commercial?
They look very similar don't they. Wherever they originate they are very supportive and comfy. I only drive the old cars these days so I want to enjoy it even if it's not quite the original look.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

A bit premature, as I won't be doing the interior until autumn, but I've bought a pair of early 70s MGB GT seats (against some advice on here). I wanted to keep it as original as possible, but also wanted headrests for safety. Making a sub frame doesn't look too difficult, and rebuilding and recovering kits are available in the same style and colours as the Minor. Cost a lot less than Newton Commercials. Watch this space...

Mark