Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andy W
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Daft Question I Know....BUT....

Post by Andy W »

Only had my 1968 Traveller for 3 weeks but already put more miles on it than the last owner did in a year!....just because it's FUN..! :D

Changed the heater & radiator hoses today which needed only screwdrivers but I have a few bits & bobs to fit but found that AF tools do not fit.....have I got to go out & buy Whitworths or something?
I am a metric chap really & never did understand the imperial tool thing...how can one 1/2" be different from another? :-?

All advice appreciated............
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Daft Question I Know....BUT....

Post by amgrave »

Glad you have got the fun part of, it's the main reason we run them. Yes I’m afraid you will have to splash out on some whitworth spanners. I think all the heads on the engine are AF but most of the ones on the body are whitworth with a little bit of UNF, UNC and BA thrown in for good measure. It's best when you buy spanners to get combi ones and if you get serious a set of sockets at a later date too. So far I have got away with open spanners and AF sockets but sooner or later I will have to get some whit sockets too. At the head of one of the forums there is a handy size chart for ref covering most of the sizes you will come across.

ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

The difference between Whitworth and AF spanners is that the AF fits across the flats of the hexagon whereas the whit fits a bolt of that diameter so the head is larger.

The mixture on a mog reflects the cars history. Morris used Whitworth, and bsf which uses the same spanners. When Morris and Austin merged in 1952 the Minor began receiving Austin parts, which used unified threads and AF spanners. Consequently, and assuming your car is later than 1952, you will need AF spanners for the engine, gearbox and axle. The original Morris parts such as body, suspension, steering and brakes will need Whitworth spanners. Are you still with me? The first thread in the mechanical section gives a more detailed breakdown of what goes where.

And keep your metric spanners handy. Most mogs have gained a few of those over the years as well!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Combination spanners are useful but a bolt has a nut on the other end and you cannot grip both ends at once with a combination.
Lock your metric spanners away, along with the adjustable
[sig]3580[/sig]
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

ianmack wrote:The difference between Whitworth and AF spanners is that the AF fits across the flats of the hexagon whereas the whit fits a bolt of that diameter so the head is larger.

The mixture on a mog reflects the cars history. Morris used Whitworth, and bsf which uses the same spanners. When Morris and Austin merged in 1952 the Minor began receiving Austin parts, which used unified threads and AF spanners. Consequently, and assuming your car is later than 1952, you will need AF spanners for the engine, gearbox and axle. The original Morris parts such as body, suspension, steering and brakes will need Whitworth spanners. Are you still with me? The first thread in the mechanical section gives a more detailed breakdown of what goes where.

And keep your metric spanners handy. Most mogs have gained a few of those over the years as well!

Excellent & succintly informative Ian, I finally get the AF/Whitworth thing! :D

I already own Halfords Professional AF sockets & bought some of their AF spanners today.......Sealey are looking reasonable & affordable for Whitworth sets..........
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

I have found car boot sales useful for obsolete tools. Fewer people fix their cars nowadays so plenty for disposal.