Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firehor5e
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Leather dye

Post by firehor5e »

Hi all,i have been offered a set of ford KA seats,they are black with blue inserts,just wont "go" with my maroon 2 door. I was wondering about leather dye,but have never used it before....what are your thoughts and/experience of this? or should i just wait for a more suitable color to come up for sale??
1968 2 door 1275
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Leather dye

Post by bmcecosse »

I rather doubt the Ka seats are 'leather'... But I imagine colouring light to dark will work well enough, but dark to light...not so sure.
ImageImage
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

they are leather Roy.KA sport seats( £60) mid to dark blue "middle",the rest of the seats are black ,want to dye blue to black..i have checked out some leather dye and paint products off ebay,just dont know if they will "do the job"if you know what i mean .dont want to ruin the seats or my/passengers clothing etc.currently have rover p6 front seats on modified minor bases,they dont fold forwards,just tilt.have to take the headrest off to tiltand if i leave the engine running they can hit the gear lever forwards....crunch....i did that once!
1968 2 door 1275
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh right - well if you watch 'Car SOS' they are constantly refurbishing seats etc - and seem to use magic potions/dyes. I'm guessing blue -to - black could be ok. But yes - some concern about transfer to clothing on a hot day I imagine.
ImageImage
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

The leather seats in mine now have been "painted" red..original color is "tan",i can see paint runs under the seats.The red"paint"has covered very well and dose not bleed,run,sweat etc...wish i knew what product they used(nothing in the comprehensive history with the car)
1968 2 door 1275
omegaman100
Minor Friendly

Post by omegaman100 »

i always use a frost paint for vinyl brings interiors up like new its not cheap though but can be bought be the litre around about £25 a litre I think a litre should do an interior though.
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Thanks omegaman.I decided against buying them.I found a set of black leathers with seat belts and brackets etc,locally for £50.
1968 2 door 1275
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Oldmogman »

Vinylkote will re-colour both vinyl and leather. It's not cheap but the results are good (you can still 'feed' leather seats after they've been re-coloured). I've used it a couple of times and have been pleased with the results