Correct Tire size

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

Disproving the blanket theory!!!!!!

It depend on the tyres concerned, the weight that they are going take, the traction required and the amount of rubber you want on the road.

My moggy has 145 14" on the front set to about 26 psi, but I have sierra 185/60 14" on the rear set to about 20-22 psi, this is because if I set the rear tyres higher they bounce around all over the place.

This is due to them being designed for a much heavier vehicle, so to make them a bit softer (and less bouncy) I have had to depressurise them a bit.

Also, drag racers with street tyres use high pressures on the front (less traction & drag) and very low pressures on the rear for more traction.

So, I don't think that the blanket rule of thumb applies. The pressures should be specific to the application.

Cam. :D
Randy Roberson

Correct Tire Size

Post by Randy Roberson »

Gentlemen, I located tires: Michelin 145 R 14, in the USA at Coker Tire, a source of classic-car tires in US> $74 each plus shipping.
Thanks to all posters, and Best Regards from Margaret also. :D
fweddy
Minor Fan

Tubes

Post by fweddy »

Interesting regarding the tubes, I had a simular case when I went in to have my tyres put back on the rims after painting. When I took them off two had tubes (the spare with a crossply and one other) three were running tubless. Due to the extra expense on the bill I asked them why they went ahead to tube the whole lot and they mentioned that they didn't want any responsibility coming back onto them if the tyres gave out. :cry:

I have radials on 4½Js from a very late 8cwt commercial with the rims in excellent order, fully repainted inside and out.
Willie
Minor Legend

tubes

Post by Willie »

I bet you never had any trouble from the tubeless ones!!
I seem to remember that you could once obtain inner tubes
which had an air tight fitting where the valve passed through
the wheel.. this is the ideal because you have an inner tube
to keep the side walls in position and an air tight assembly
so that even if the tube was punctured the tyre didn't deflate
because it was the tubeless type.
Willie
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Just to add my pennyworth to the `Blanket Theory` on Radial Tyre pressures :-? , from memory I recalled that certain cars ( the Hillman Imp came to mind ) mainly rear engine ones had different tyre pressure set up`s to our beloved Moggies.
So on looking up the Imp website lo and behold depending on the model and tyre combination.
Front Pressures 15 - 20 lbs Rear Pressures 30 - 35 lbs
With a recommended Front 18 lbs Rear 32lbs
I wonder what they would have driven like with 30lbs all round, not the sort of Tyre depot to use or recieve advice from :evil: .
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706