Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Halcyon clip-on mirrors question.

Post by Chief »

Okay this is going to sound a daft question but, Where do they actually clip on to? :D

The mirror in Q. is this http://shop.morrisminorspares.co.uk/ima ... ACC156.jpg though not bought from there.

and we thought it clipped onto the quarterlight, but the only place small enough for it to go on is the actual glass, and as you can work out from the picture the black rubber strip you can see would be protecting nothing. On the page above they call it a door-clip on mirror- but the screw on part is too small even for that. Has anyone got these on their own car and where did you put them? The picture doesnt show it but where the two screws are (shown in the picture) there's also a metal strip with one part rubber which the screws hold in place.
The reason im asking is surely the clip on mirrors dont screw on with bare metal against the quarterlight glass where if they happen to get knocked or vibrate could scratch the glass. Pity they didnt come with instructions really -oh and the picture shows them on the curve of the quarterlight but thats too wide for the mirrors to go over. 8)

Thanks for any advice you can give. :)
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Peetee »

They can fit on the frame that separates the quarterlight from the window.
They slide on from the rear so that the open part of the clamp faces forward. No part of the assembly should be inside of, or touching the glass.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

After posting we tried again and found the main window channel as a viable place due to the outer rubber strip acting against the glass window (when wound up) - which I take it is what you mean :)
I left the post up in case that wasnt the place to put it (looked just a little too far towards the driver) or if there was a better place, weird how the advertised picture showed it on the furthest corner of the quarterlight-maybe they changed models :) Thanks 8) (though now im gonna be scared of knocking them off while learning to drive :lol: ).
dermot
Minor Friendly

Post by dermot »

they do fit on the main window channel. I fitted one but was not impressed. they sit too far back from the view of the driver. Maybe it would be ok if I was taller i,m 5'7 as then you would be further back from the mirror. good luck anyway!
Dermot- lives in N Ireland. Drives a 1969 Dublin built 4 door black called Henry (any colour you like....) Fighting the temptation to spend too much!!!
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Yeah they are a bit too back, thats why we didnt want to believe thats where they went. Ah well if they work even a tiny bit they'll be okay :)
nick_h
Minor Friendly

Post by nick_h »

It fits onto the channel behind the quarterlight. Make sure the flange inside the channel is behind the felt so that the glass slides past without being scratched. The protective plate goes onto the painted part of the channel. Don't be afraid to tighten the screws well as the mirror can work loose and drop off (I know from experience!). Fixed in this way you can adjust the height along the full length of the channel to your own preference. Mine is near the top at eye-level. This little mirror is one of the best things I have bought for my split windscreen, with its matchbox size rearview mirror and no wing mirrors. Essential for modern roads, and dual carriageways in particular (when merging with fast-moving traffic). I wouldn't be without mine now.

Hope this helps
Nick

[img]http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/37/06/10633706.s.jpg[/img]
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

you dont need to tell me about that experience as my brother (who I kindly let him use the mirrors for the first time ever) has since recovered one (slightly scratched and missing the small metal and rubber strip) out of a ditch (he blames the roads of course ;))
samheath100
Minor Friendly

Post by samheath100 »

mine have been screwed on. wouldnt they fall off otherwise when you opened the quarterlite windoe?
BIRMINGHAM, got a two door moggy 1098cc Check out my pictures at http://www.matmice.com/home/morrisminor

[img]http://www.matmice.com/home/morrisminor/images/rns.jpg[/img]
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

No Sam, they are attached to the bar the quarter-light locks against not the window itself.

Lee
woo
Minor Fan

Post by woo »

wouldnt they fall off otherwise when you opened the quarterlite windoe?
No, the quarterlight closes against the front edge of the frame between the quarterlight and the main window. These mirrors clamp onto the rear edge of the frame onto the channel that the window slides up and down in.

I bought a pair 10 years ago. One for the drivers side and one for the passenger side. The passenger side needs the bracket bent inwards to allow you to get the correct viewing angle from the drivers seat. Originally they were flat glass. I recently replaced the drivers side with a new mirror that I found was slightly convex. So for me now they form the ideal pair. Sometimes I knock them, but it only moves the mirror, not the mounting. I wouldn't be without them now.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I'm used to lots of mirrors...

...so it makes my life interesting when I get into something with either tiny or no mirrors!

Lee