Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Van wheel tyre width

Post by youngcamper »

Hi All,

I've managed to pick up a set of van wheels (4.5J) which need tyres, there seem to be a bit of debate on which is the right size tyre, 155 or 165. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks,

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Van wheel tyre width

Post by les »

155 is normal, 165 would be about the widest to go, they start to get very near the top trunnions.

youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

les wrote:155 is normal, 165 would be about the widest to go, they start to get very near the top trunnions.
Thanks Les. I assume it's similar too 145s vs 155s on standard rims? both will fit but 145s have a much less bulbous side wall? If that's the case I'll opt for 155s.

Cheers
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Will. Could you do me a favour and get a photo of a van wheel with a tape measure placed inside the rim to show how far apart the two sides are that the tyre metal bead fits onto?

Here is a 3J / 3-inch saloon rim.

Thanks.

Rob[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

RobThomas wrote:Will. Could you do me a favour and get a photo of a van wheel with a tape measure placed inside the rim to show how far apart the two sides are that the tyre metal bead fits onto?

Here is a 3J / 3-inch saloon rim.

Thanks.

Rob[frame]Image[/frame]

Yes, Will do!
Will
ImageImageImage