Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
catherinewren
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Heavy rain - car not working :(

Post by catherinewren »

Also - gosh I am sorry about all these questions - what is the best manual to help me fix her? Is it a Haynes, is it the pdf from dolphnproductions (lots of diagrams in the back which I am unsure which are relevant to her), is it one from Amazon?!

She is a 1967 Morris Minor 1000 2 door salon.

Thank you :)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yes the diagrams in the manual can be a bit mystifying :-? so use the wiring diagram on the link I posted, as it's much easier to read, and the fishy sounding PDF for everything else :)
catherinewren
Minor Friendly

Post by catherinewren »

Thanks
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... Swo4pYHg9P

99p at the moment. Original factory manual. Make sure that it is a version that covers your car (ie was printed after yours was built) to get the correct version.
Cardiff, UK
catherinewren
Minor Friendly

Post by catherinewren »

Thanks Rob - am bidding :)

OK - update on Doris - have got the horn and main front lights working. Have got some of the lights on the speedo working (but not all correctly).

However, the front side lights and rear lights are still not working and my poor husband is now getting stuck! Any ideas - all the wires don't really match with the diagram as some seem to have been changed - there are also two wires that have been cut behind the speedometer - but these aren't for the side lights as they were working when we bought the car, and there is still power going to the lights.
catherinewren
Minor Friendly

Post by catherinewren »

Also - how many fuses are there? We found the two under the bonnet but I am sure I have read somewhere else there is one more.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

There should be an inline fuse dangling just under the fuse box.
You can just see it in this pic on the top left. with a red wire coming out of it.[frame]Image[/frame]
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

That white 5cm x 1cm plastic tube carries a circa 10 amp fuse that powers the sidelights all round and the brake lights. If the fuse pops, you lose all of them. Only fitted to later cars, perhaps circa 1965 onwards??
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Shortened version...

Battery power travels down a thick brown wire to the light switch (always alive and unfused), out from there via a white wire (ignition live and unfused) to the ignition coil and fuel pump to the fusebox where it turns to green (meaning ignition live but fused) to all the other toys like radio, wipers, washers, fuel gauges, heater etc.
Red means lights that are on whenever the switch isn't off (sidelights, numberplate light, dash lights via a tiny square switch under the dash) and are unfused except for the later cars. Blue wires mean headlamp bulbs. Black is earth or on early Minors it means every bleedin' wire since the cotton coloured braiding fades and then all falls off to leave the black PVC underneath. :x

[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Cardiff, UK