Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
D T Rennie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Seat Material

Post by D T Rennie »

Hello everybody, I was just cleaning out the interior of my '68 two door (which is a deluxe model) and was confused as to which material the seats are made from. I know that they should be leather but these ones looked like vinyl. So I was wondering, by the time my car was produced (August 1968) did BMC stop fitting Deluxe models with leather, or has my car just got vinyl from a previous restoration?
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Seat Material

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

From about October 64 they were fitted with a standard vinyl with heat formed pattern. The deluxe spec probably refers to over riders on the bumper, a heater and even a basic as a passenger side sun visor! 8)

This car in the pic doesnt even have arm rests on the back panels which most of them have!
[frame]Image[/frame]

Too many Minors so little time.....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As David says, none of the later Minors had leather seat facings. That option was dropped in 1961. Your seats are a vinyl material - which at least is easier to clean and look after!
The rear quarter panels are most unusual in not having armrests. I don't think I've ever seen any like that. The "basic" model lacks armrests but doesn't have the fluted pattern either if I remember correctly.
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

you are correct there. Davids is an Irish built CKD so thats the way they are.

D T Rennie
Minor Friendly

Post by D T Rennie »

Thank you for replying so quickly! I am contemplating buying new seats with my father and just wanted to check (for authenticity, of course). I will bear this in mind when the time comes.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

stevey wrote:you are correct there. Davids is an Irish built CKD so thats the way they are.
Aha, that explains it. Just one of those little differences on CKD cars. I suppose the trim was made locally for those cars?
I remember seeing an Irish car once and the colour (a darkish green) was different to English assembled cars and the crash rail of the parcel shelf was covered in green material the same colour as the seats rather than the black used on English cars. We can learn something new everyday can't we!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

D T Rennie wrote:Thank you for replying so quickly! I am contemplating buying new seats with my father and just wanted to check (for authenticity, of course). I will bear this in mind when the time comes.
take a deep breath before looking at the price of trim.. if you are going newton commercial, for door and seat covers, the fit and quality cannot (in my opinion) be questioned and you can understand what you are paying for but.. it is still a little bit of a shock when you get to the total.