Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

SEAT BELT FITMENT

Post by BIGRAB »

Good afternoon, new to MMOC and just joined, apologies if this has already been asked/answered elsewhere.

I've got a 1967 2 door with the original seat belts.

Current belts have seen better days and I was going to change to modern inertia type purely for safety reasons.

However B pillar looks very narrow for fitting, reading into various sites I'm picking up that you may have to weld plates etc to fit.

Is this the case, are there any other 'mods' that would be required.

Also any recomendations on make/type ?

Regards
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: SEAT BELT FITMENT

Post by philthehill »

The upper part of the 'B' post of a 2 door saloon is not suitable for the attachment/mounting of a upper seat belt anchorage.
BMC/BL did not include a mounting point on the upper part of the 'B' post.
Only the recommended seat belt anchorage points as described in the Minor wksp Manual Section R 34 - R39 should be used.
All other mounting points should be considered a No No unless a structural assessment has been undertaken by a qualified person or subject matter expert (SME).
If you fit seal belts other than as described in the wksp manual and the mounts are/were not capable of taking the forces involved in an accident and some one gets injured you may be liable and your insurance may be declared null and void.
If you fit the seat belts as per the workshop manual you will have done your best and the fitting instructions could be used in your defence.
Of course it is assumed that the Minor recommended mounting points are structurally sound.
The Minor was not built to absorb crash forces as cars are built today so it is important to get things right.
I am sorry if it appears that I am painting a dark picture but seat belts must be fitted correctly and professionally.
You may only get one chance to survive a crash.
Others may have a different view but having fitted many seat belts into various types of Minors (as per the wksp manual instructions) when working in a BMC garage when new Minors were still being sold I do have a professional hands on view.
Phil

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Well, that's the thing with old cars isn't it...if you want modern safety it can't be retrofitted.
I'm quite happy to drive my non-seatbelt cars, quite legally but,arguably,stupidly because I can. The rest of the family refuse to join me.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Inertia type can be fitted onto the existing points on a 2 door. Personally though I find them quite uncomfortable as the mount is low and slips off my shoulder and reels back in, so I prefer the static belts in the 2 door.

ESM offer this inertia belt

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/miscel ... pe-p831234

or this static one

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/miscel ... pe-p831210

Too many Minors so little time.....
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

One of the reasons I prefer to drive a late model 4door car is that (like the traveller) it has a much better seatbelt mount. I also have a convertible and - as already suggested above - I find the seatbelt slips off. I still have the static belts in the convertible and wear then as tightly as practical but it is a compromise. I have seen a convertible which was restored by JLH and has a better mounting welded into the rear quarter window area. A compromise but much more safe and comfortable to wear if you don't mind the appearance.
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

Guys thanks for the advice, static it will be.

For fitment is it a straight swop, no drilling etc ???

Regards
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

See the Wksp manual sections referred to above and in conjunction with the seat belt manufactures instructions I am sure that you will be able to work out the fitment of the static seat belts.
Please come back if further clarity required.
Phil