Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear Spring -repair of replace

Post by mowogg »

just removed the spring off the van -the central pin has failed allowing all teh leaves to move.

has anyone got any experience of suppliers who will refurbish these? Is it good vale as new ones are readily available
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear Spring -repair of replace

Post by mogbob »

An Internet search on " car leaf spring rebuilders / refurburbishers " will throw up people to contact.
Bear in mind you have to get the springs ( if one's broken , the other won't be far behind ! ) to them and back. They may " insist " that you have the " full refurbishment " rather than just the repair.
Any way get their best estimate / quote over the phone , so you can work out the costs and inconvenience.
Chances are that going for 2 "new " springs and a new set of poly bushes , for fitting , is the way to go.
If you only fit one spring , the other will be " sagging " by comparison. Road holding not so good and uneven tyre wear , over a long period in extreme cases.
Do the maths and weigh up the benefits.
See what others think / suggest.
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear Spring -repair of replace

Post by philthehill »

I have to ask - have you determined as to why has the central spring dowel/bolt (Pt No: ACA5051 (van/pickup)) broke?
If the original spring is worn at the leaf ends which may be a cause of the dowel/bolt breaking then there is little point in refurbishing the original spring(s).
I would suggest that a pair of new springs is the way to go.
Replacing just one spring is false policy - it could cause the vehicle to have very bad handling and if one spring has broken the other will not be far behind.
As regards spring suppliers - I would speak with JLH Minors - link below:-

http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/