Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davew1949
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

waterproofing Convertible Hood Seams

Post by davew1949 »

Just got a "new" convertible. The vinyl hood is generally in OK nick, however I guess where it has shrunk over the years the stitched seams have stretched a little so daylight can be seen along the seams, although the stitching does seem to be intact. I'm a bit worried that this might let the rain in so I'd like to find the best (correct?) way to seal them. I have gone over the hood with Renovo water-proofer hoping this might do the job, but it's too runny to fill the gaps. Has anyone had the same problem and managed to solve it? I was wondering about that wax you use to waterproof Barbour jackets, as that's a little thicker.
Anyway any input is, as usual, useful.
Many Thanks.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: waterproofing Convertible Hood Seams

Post by kennatt »

had the same problem with a scimitar gtc,eventually used(Forgot the name) brush on sealer used for going over the seams on tents from the inside,same stuff they use on the seams of waterproof nylon jackets, any outdoor/camping shop should have it.Worked fine and was still ok three years later when I sold the car .Barbour jackets are coton so the wax will not work just will not soak into vinyl
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Fabsil?
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Try Nikwax it works on my TR7
davew1949
Minor Friendly

Post by davew1949 »

Well the good news is that I didn't use anything except the Renovo and we've had some serious downpourings and the hood doesn't seem to have leaked. Hope it stays that way.