Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davew1949
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Taking Convertible Hood Down

Post by davew1949 »

Recently got a 1968 convertible and am playing with the hood. I can get it up and down fine now (after a bit of a wiggle, a few thumps and an interesting word or two. Just got to figure out how to stop it scratching the heck out of the painted rear window frames while I'm doing this).
Anyway when I've had it down the hood is concertina'd with the frame bars. However looking at the MM workshop manual, it suggests the hood should be pulled away from the frame and then folded over it a couple of times. Could any of you convertible owners tell me if this is correct for a '67 or are the instructions in the manual for an older car. (I have tried to include the image from the manual below, but don't know if it will be successful until my post is published - then it'll be too late!)

Many thanks in anticipation.
Dave
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Taking Convertible Hood Down

Post by Declan_Burns »

Dave,
Get you hands on some 3mm thick rubber. I used the rubber from a tiler's grout spreader available at the DIY and glue it to the frame as shown.
When I fold the frame, I lift it right up to the vertical position and then fold it down tucking the hood in as you go. I fix the hood bag with straps (garden section DIY or Velcro).

Regards
Declan
Attachments
PICT0821_small.jpg
PICT0821_small.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
PICT0715_small.JPG
PICT0715_small.JPG (34.32 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

Regards
Declan
davew1949
Minor Friendly

Re: Taking Convertible Hood Down

Post by davew1949 »

Thanks for the response and the photos Declan. I'll give that a try (when the weather gets a bit better. At the moment the last thing I need is the hood down).
Cheers,
Dave