Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andy W
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Weller rims - hubcap problem!

Post by Andy W »

Hi,
Very excited to have 5.5" rims on my Traveller now.
Two of them are Weller steel rims BUT my Minor hubcaps don't fit! :(
I have the larger ID later caps but they are still too small for the "buttons" on the rims.
Still trying to get through to Weller so wondered if anyone has any experience of this problem....
Andy
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Weller rims - hubcap problem!

Post by midget »

Yes, same problem for me. I had to carefully file the tops of the locating pins in order to fit. I used a small triangular file, and it took ages.
First attempt resulted in a lost cap, so it needs to be quite a bit of patience.
Pleased now --but disappointed really as they 'aint cheap!
John
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

That's interesting midget....esp. as I finally got to speak to Weller who told me they have never heard of a problem & make & sell 100's of these rims a year!
Looks like it's filing time........ :(

www.retronicsonline.com
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Are these wheels made for Morris Minor or are they generic so might have to accommodate differing hub caps?

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Yes,I believe that they are the only ones available with the correct PCD for Minor hubs.

Edited to say that IF you have an LCB manifold the nearside front tyre can just foul the down pipe on full (left) lock. Not a huge problem ---as long a you remember not to park with the extreme left lock applied. Well, mine does anyway :D
John
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I think you may find they are Vauxhall ones which use the same pcd but lugs are different
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

These are absolutely made for the Minor....

https://www.wellerwheels.com/product/morris-minor/

They look great & the handling is brilliant........but I just can't fit my hubcaps!

www.retronicsonline.com
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Because of the high cost of these wheels I would suggest sending the makers one of your hub caps by secure carriage and ask them to test fit it to a wheel before filing the pegs down. If they are an honourable company they would be keen to address any problem with their product.

Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

I spoke again to Weller this morning & they are being helpful.
I am emailing them the manufacture date (stamped on wheel)........
Andy.

www.retronicsonline.com
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

I seem to be forever chasing Weller, rang again today....their MD says if I send them the rims (at my cost - I can accept that) they will take a look & see if anything can be done to the pins.
They seem to feel that this is kind of them as the rims are out of warranty/I am not the original purchaser, etc. :o
Personally I think they are being very short sighted in terms of customer/public relations, standing by your product, etc, etc.
The fact is that they have obviously made & sold several wheels in the past few years that are not usable if you want to have your hubcaps on! :roll:
If it was my company I'd be very embarrassed, apologising profusely & rectifying it whatever it takes, but perhaps that's just my view of things & I am wrong. :cry:
The cost of having the tyres removed, 2-way carriage, tyres refitted & rebalanced (not to mention the possible spoiling of the black paint job) will be a "budget buster" so I am considering carefully what to do.
Right now I am rather p**ssed at Weller & would certainly not recommend them as a company.
Some pics which show the prod. date & the fact that the buttons are quite obviously too far spaced for the Minor hubcap.
Attachments
IMG_2808.JPG
IMG_2808.JPG (88.54 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2811.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
IMG_2802.JPG
IMG_2802.JPG (126.4 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG (124.81 KiB) Viewed 6354 times

www.retronicsonline.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just an observation:
In the link above it states that a hub cap can be fitted - it does not state that the hub cap is a Morris Minor hub cap.
I would be asking the question - what is the recommended hub cap to be fitted and is suitable for these wheels?

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

That's a good point Phil, but if you are buying a wheel for a Morris Minor you would expect a Morris Minor hub cap to fit I would have thought :roll: :cry:

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Never expect anything to be as it appears - always enquire for the full facts.
There may be a recommended hub cap for the Minor wheel that is available from Weller Wheels or they may recommended an alternative source of supply.
In the link below there are only two proper hub caps shown and they are what are as I understand it the Moon Type. The same type is shown as fitted to the Lotus Cortina in the Weller Wheels web site.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=im ... &FORM=IGRE

Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

philthehill wrote:Just an observation:
In the link above it states that a hub cap can be fitted - it does not state that the hub cap is a Morris Minor hub cap.
I would be asking the question - what is the recommended hub cap to be fitted and is suitable for these wheels?

Weller do mean a Morris Minor hubcap, the later slightly larger dia. type. (In fact, he was unaware that there was the earlier, smaller type).
During my first tel. call to them, the person I spoke to said he had a Weller Minor rim & Minor h/cap in front of him & that the cap fitted perfectly.

www.retronicsonline.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The later hub caps are 8.75" whereas the earlier ones are 8.5".
Whilst not appearing to take sides with Weller are you absolutely sure that you have the later 8.75" hub caps.
I just cannot see Weller which is a company with a good reputation making such a mistake by placing the pins at the wrong PCD.

Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

philthehill wrote:The later hub caps are 8.75" whereas the earlier ones are 8.5".
Whilst not appearing to take sides with Weller are you absolutely sure that you have the later 8.75" hub caps.
I just cannot see Weller which is a company with a good reputation making such a mistake by placing the pins at the wrong PCD.

Absolutely yes I have the later ones....lots of them.....I've measured them all & tried several on the rims! :)

"midget" has posted on this thread that he had the same problem so I'm not alone in this...it's just my typical flaming luck that I get some
troublesome rims!

www.retronicsonline.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Playing devils advocate: -
The Minor wheels in the link above have the name Weller and other details stamped on the central part of the wheel.
The wheels centres shown in your photos above do not appear to have the Weller name or any other details other than the 12/15 stamped on the centre. Even if I max zoom the photo I cannot make out any details other than the 12/15.
Therefore are you absolutely sure that these wheels and notwithstanding Midgets input genuine Weller Minor wheels?
There should be a part number stamped on the wheel centre as per the link. If there is a part number stamped on your wheels what is that part number?
It should be 902662 as per the link above.

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Just wondered whether you bought the wheels that were recently sold on ebay which have Minor hub caps fitted? (yours are the same colour and have the same tyres) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 7675.l2557

Might not be the same, as can't see any markings on the ebay wheels, but both hub caps seem a bit misshapen so perhaps some 'force' was required to fit them? As Phil has noted above, the weller wheels all seem to have the weller logo stamped on them so perhaps they are 'replica' ones? Did you send weller a photo of the wheels and have they confirmed that they made them? If not, it might be useful to do that first before considering sending them back to weller.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Everyones' input in much appreciated.

These are definitely genuine Weller rims....they have "Weller" stamped on them & the PCD also - this is exactly what Weller told me would be stamped on them when they asked me for the production date.
Weller have not suggested that they are not genuine rims.

They are the wheels on the eBay link from Lousie.
Having spoken to the seller, he never used the rims after painting them & so never fitted the hubcaps in order not to damage the paint. In the photo the h/caps are just resting on the rims.
My brother has met the seller, I have had 2 tel. conversations with him & several emails. He has sent me a copy of his original purchase invoice from Weller.
I believe the eBay seller to be genuine & open, & I am not prepared to hold him responsible for my situation & request to reverse the sale as I do not think that is a proper thing to do in this circumstance.

Weller made the rims, apparently not the only ones that do not accept Minor hubcaps as proven by midget's response.

I do accept that legally I have no come back to Weller but, as I have stated earlier in this thread, I personally feel that a company should stand by it's products in such scenarios.
I understand that Weller have said I can send the wheels to them for examination but the constant reminding that they are out of warranty, they have never had an issue, & the fact that there is no proactive response from them (I am doing all the chasing), etc. doesn't make me think too well of them as a company, even though they are personable enough when I ring them, I am feeling more than a little "fobbed off".

Perhaps I expect too much from people & businesses, that can be one of my downfalls I know.

I am deciding whether or not to put my old wheels back on & de-tyre the rims to send to them to Weller.
Despite the hassle & expense to me, I am erring towards doing so just to prove my point to Weller that they have made & sold unsuitable rims.

Andy.

www.retronicsonline.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Andy
Thanks for the above.
One last thing - you have not quoted the part number which should be stamped on the wheel centre.
The part number will confirm that they are the correct wheels once and for all.
Phil