Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Which seats to choose

Post by andrew.searston »

Hi everyone
Thinking of changing my non standard front seats for something a little more stable and safe. What modern headrest seats do people fit thats easy? Ive heard of ford ka, possible rover 45?
[sig]9671[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Which seats to choose

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I believe SAAB 900 front seats have been fitted too, as another option for you.
I like the originals myself but I can understand others wanting more support. To each their own..............
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Wow! Awesome link to some awesome work.......I think I know where my next lot of pocket money is going.......... :D
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

Thats fantastic work. Never thought about mgtf seats only issue i have is the welding so need something that is bolts in. I expect to drill holes and cut
[sig]9671[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i did a newsletter on it a few years back and i am happy to send you a copy of it just pm me your email address. however i think which ever solution you go with you will need to do some welding.. most modern cars seat seem to have flat bases so you will need to make up something to support the rear of the seat where the moggy floor slopes away. JLH sells a universal fitting kit which gives you the flat floor needed to fit other seats if that helps
orb596
Minor Fan

Post by orb596 »

If you want seats that are really easy to fit go for the Ford Ka ones. I've recently fitted a pair in my traveller and they go in with no welding or messing about at all. You just need to turn the feet around on the front and then you can use the original seat fixing bolts for the front and drill a couple of holes for the rear bolts - easy! They look good to :D
Laurie Blewer
MMOC member since 1986
Dorset Branch Secretary for ever!!!!
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Another vote for the KA ones from me. Worth getting the later "upmarket" type as the have a greater range of adjustment after fitting.
Fairly simple to fit the rears as well, to match.
John
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

I fitted a set of these
from a Alfa 147
$_57 (3).jpg
$_57 (3).jpg (276.06 KiB) Viewed 7320 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

For anyone looking for Ford KA front seats, here's a link to a red (leather) pair on eBay.
Not cheap though.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-ka-coupe ... Sw~rpZW22y
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Iv got some cloth ka seats. Free to anyone who wants them. They're still in a ka but I can help remove.

Gone! Nice meeting you again Andy
Last edited by greendefender123 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

greendefender123 wrote:Iv got some cloth ka seats. Free to anyone who wants them. They're still in a ka but I can help remove.
Yes please! PM sent. :D

www.retronicsonline.com
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Cheers Steve, don't forget I owe you a pint at the Mid Devon Show!

www.retronicsonline.com
greendefender123
Minor Addict

That's ok, anytime. I sent you message on the other forum about the wing.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

Has anyone fitted Ford Streetka seats to a 2 door or Traveller?

There are quite a few for sale but noticed that the seats are installed so that the catch to tilt them is towards centre of car and not the door. The Streetka is a 2 seater but wondering if they in fact tilt and Ford just swapped them as no one would normally tilt them forward?

Thanks

Edit- 22/12. I decided to take a chance and the Streetka seats arrived today and they definitely tilt which means I now have leather heated seats to fit at some point before the spring.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

I have MGF seats in mine. superb.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

neilmorey wrote:Has anyone fitted Ford Streetka seats to a 2 door or Traveller?

There are quite a few for sale but noticed that the seats are installed so that the catch to tilt them is towards centre of car and not the door. The Streetka is a 2 seater but wondering if they in fact tilt and Ford just swapped them as no one would normally tilt them forward?

Thanks

Edit- 22/12. I decided to take a chance and the Streetka seats arrived today and they definitely tilt which means I now have leather heated seats to fit at some point before the spring.
They should be the same.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

They are not quite the same. I've discovered that the Streetka seats are handed compared to the standard Ka. The short seat runner is still on the outside for ease of access and seat belt anchorage on the long runner but the backrest catch is on the inside rather than the outside of the seat so need to lean across to release the catch. Shouldn't be an issue really.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

Thought you might like to see the Streetka leather seats now fitted. There are various other threads where people have swapped the original feet around or fabricated new aluminium front mounts to lift them a bit higher. I went for a slightly different approach and asked JLH to supply a set of their seat bases to fit the Streetka seats.

As others have pointed out the runners are unequal length but once all the original Ford fittings are removed the relative postition of the runners can be adjusted and the front end of each runner brought closer into line. JLH then made up bases as follows: Centre to centre of the runners is 390mm. The spacing between the front and rear fixings of each runner would be 320mm with an additional fixing 80mm further back on the inner runner.

Existing Ford fixings were drilled out and removed with a chisel, the only welded fixing was cut off with the Dremel and then ground smooth, a padded wing protector was used to stop sparks damaging the seats.
DSC_0955.JPG
DSC_0955.JPG (104.12 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
DSC_0959.JPG
DSC_0959.JPG (84 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
2 new seat bases from JLH with holes ready formed to take M6 bolts, 4 used per seat with Nyloc nuts and washers.
DSC_0988.JPG
DSC_0988.JPG (75.53 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
The bases were then fitted into the car and lined up, from below a sharp tool was used to mark through the captive nuts and indicate where to drill new fixings. A plate washer was cut to size and the front of the new bases bolted into the existing captive nuts with new spring washers. Once this was all aligned the rear fixings could be drilled through the seat bases and car floor and bolted into place with M8 set secrews and Nyloc nuts, a 40x40mm plate washer was used below the floor for strengthening. When drilling pilot holes I moved some brake a fuel line for safety but wasn't close to them at all really.
DSC_1139.JPG
DSC_1139.JPG (85.81 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Seats installed and are much more comfortable than the old ones, worth noting that the headrest willl hit the sun visor when tipped forward. It is a bit more difficult to access the back seats but not bad, less leg room too in the rear if passenger makes use of all the available adjustment. I reckon it was a worthwile modification. It cost me about £275 for seats, bases and all fixings (loads left over)

I've not done anything about wiring up the heated seat elements yet but look very simple with only a live and earth per seat. My idea, if I ever get round to it, is that they will be wired through a relay so heaters can only be activated with the ignition live.
Attachments
DSC_1142.JPG
DSC_1142.JPG (94.8 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

They look great, I wonder if they come in navy blue