Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Uses for old engine oil?

Post by quee2646 »

Hello all,

Does anybody use their old engine oil for anything? I heard one person say they used to paint it on the underside to ward of rust...

Seems a waste to chuck it away...?
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Re: Uses for old engine oil?

Post by Boomlander »

Best place for used engine oil is your local recycling depot.
It is quite toxic and needs to be processed properly. :D

dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dalebrignall »

use it on my post and rail fence rails
[sig]5641[/sig]
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I filter it and add it to Diesel no more than 20% and run my mower on it, old 3 cylinder Kubota engine runs fine.
Most of my used oil is fairly clean and from petrol cars.
I also spray it in cavities etc on cars as rust prevention sometimes with added waxoil.
dalebrignall wrote:use it on my post and rail fence rails
Recently painted some fencing with creocote which looked and smelt to me like used oil mixed with Diesel.
Regards John
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I have a number of wooden sheds at home and they've been up for, shed 1 over 50 years, shed 2 over 35 years and shed 3 over 30 years. All still in good condition with the oldest in very good condition and all treated every few years with used engine oil.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I use it on the oily rag for wiping over black components, rad top, air filter, battery bar etc. Covers rust and stops it spreading.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

As Boomlander says, take the engine oil to the dump for disposal. Just use the gearbox oil for "rustproofing" as it is uncontanimated.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

About 20 years ago,our farming neighbours used all their old oil (and their was lots of it from all the farm machinery) to fuel a specially designed heating boiler. Don't know if such things are still available. Probably banned as the emissions must have been pretty foul.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@SteveClem, Some places burn it in heaters mixed with fuel oil, I bet that modern oil has some nasty things in as it is synthetic, Not that contaminated old oil is going to be good.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

One of our dogs is exactly the right height to cover her back with oil from the Landy sump. Unfortunately she's light grey...
Since it's almost impossible to stop landrovers from weeping oil and the dog is addicted to classic 20/50 we have decided to give away all the old cars...

No,just joking. Just bought a more powerful jet wash and gallons of degreaser :wink:
GraemeT

Post by GraemeT »

Oh the Land Rover - when it is not leaking then it must have ran out of oil? Saves changing the engine oil though - just keep topping up and change the filter now and then, my old Ser 2A used to leak everything - everywhere.

The used oil burners used to be very popular with garages, fleet owners etc as a cheap way of space heating - DEFRA (I think) have recently changed the rules so that you can now only burn 'clean' oil/fuel in them, mind you, as they say here, it is only illegal if they catch you ....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

beware used engine oil is carcinogen and the warnings are there for safety :o
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Back in the '70's I was a young geologist supervising drilling rigs in outback Northumberland...and it was mostly pretty glacial for 8 months of the year! The hard bitten drilling crews kept themselves warm burning all sorts of rubbish on a home made thing that they called a salamander. Mostly old oil,but wood,old rubber gloves etc all worked.
It stank,was undoubtably toxic and not good for anyone's health....but it didn't half throw heat out.
Since they were all smoking 60 fags a day,I don't suppose that the health stuff came into their heads :wink: