Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin-G
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Headlining, sort of?

Post by Kevin-G »

Hi, I have a 2 door saloon and at the back, under the window inside, there is a strip of hardboard which is covered in the same material as the headlining.

This is in poor shape, although the headlining is actually ok.

I have looked online for this but have found no mention of it.

Is this a standard part and does anyone know if the hardboard part can be bought from somewhere. It seems to be shaped, and not just a straight piece that has been bent into shape, I suspect that if I tried to bend a new piece then it would break.

Can the headlining material covering this be bought separately as I really don't want to buy a whole headlining set just for this.

Many thanks

Kevin
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Headlining, sort of?

Post by kennatt »

when I did mine the piece came with the headlining,not sure available separately and I just made the new board, using the old as a patern.hardboard from B&Q if I remember.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Had look at mine and I reckon you could make a hardboard template from the old one . If the ' bend ' at the ends is too sharp try running a Stanley knife vertically down the board on the inside where you want to bend it ( dont cut through it ) . Cant help,you with the fabric , hope someone else can !!!!!!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Woolies, Newton and CW do the various headlining materials and it may be worth asking if they have offcuts to match the rear panel. The panel itself seems elusive and your best bet may be either fabrication I think I would go for hardboard rather than ply as it is more flexible, or people breaking a 2 or 4 door.

The nearest I can find is from Newton, in hardboard.

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/morris ... ray-liner/
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I think that you mean the finishing board that is immediately below the window, above the little shelf. This is hardboard and can be cut using the old one as a template. It "should" bend into shape OK, but you could always steam it lightly with a kettle to make more pliable - it will set in the correct shape. It is covered with the same material used to make the headlining. That piece comes as part of the kit, but Newton Commercial will gladly sell it my the metre, or as suggested above, may have an off-cut for the price of a stamp.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It's quite an easy job...must be because I managed it and it's still looking fine years later. Make the new bit out of hardboard using the original as a template. Cover it in whatever looks good to you.