Transition heater trunking ?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Transition heater trunking ?

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All
Have spent a while searching but came up with nothing...can anyone help re. this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor ... 1438.l2649

does it need the parcel shelf cutting to fit the trunk?

should there be a blanking plate or other item fitted at the bottom ? does it work ? how does it work ?

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks

John
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Transition heater trunking ?

Post by ManyMinors »

That is the early type of fresh air heater. It is only of use in a car from about 1959ish with the air intake built into the toeboard. Earlier cars without this will not be able to draw in fresh air so it will not function properly as far as demisting is concerned (although the heat output will be fine - IF the heater is in working order. Something the seller is NOT claiming!). Later cars (from late 1963 I think) had a more efficient heater which drew fresh air in through the large hose which went through the bulkhead.

Yes, you will have to cut the parcel shelf around the air intake if that isn't already done. Within the metal air intake is a flap controlled by the cable visible in the photo.

What year is the car you propose fitting this into? I wouldn't say that is particularly cheap if it sold as "not tested". If it doesn't work it is worthless frankly.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Full details of fitting the fresh air heater shown in the 'e' bay link above are given in the BMC workshop manual Section SS.3

The details cover the fitment of the fresh air heater conversion kit Pt No: 8G9046 (which is basically a kit of parts as per the 'e' bay link) to the Morris Minor Ser 11 and/or Morris 1000.
The fitting instructions give the details and dimensions for cutting the portion required from the parcel tray to enable the heater to be fitted.
The instructions also give the details and dimensions of the hole to be cut in the toe board of early cars for the fresh air inlet.
Whilst there is no guarantee that the heater core and heater motor are serviceable those two items are not expensive to replace - therefore at the current price of £29.99 I consider it to be reasonably priced and as it is a BMC original equipment item it will not look out of place in a Ser 11 or Minor 1000.

My own Ser 11 was fitted with a Mini heater fresh air heater which was very efficient.

A similar heater to that in the 'e' bay link was fitted in my Minor 1000 and whilst not as efficient as the Mini heater it did work in keeping me warm and the windscreen clear.

Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Many thanks...

Looks like I had it back to front...I thought it would duct the warm/hot air downwards to the flap , for foot warming,and with the flap closed air would be forced through the demisters... but now I know better..
Is there any other easy way to stop the internal heating giving preference to the demisters ? ( with the round type heater )

Thanks
John

1958 4-Door
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Looking at the workshop manual section for the round heater there is no ability shown to stop air going to the demisters pipes whether it has the fresh air duct or not.
I cannot remember that inability being a problem and I do feel the cold.
The later heaters had the ability to select CAR, WINDSCREEN or OFF.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I agree with philthehill. My round heater has no fresh-air intake. I also feel the cold. Once my heater has got warm (3 or 4 miles) it's more than adequate. This past week with low outdoor temperatures and the blower rheostat turned up full for quick demisting, I had to open a window or cook behind the wheel :D
1956 4-door called Max
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Thanks
I'll leave it as it is , maybe just "blueprint " the demister fitting in the dash..

John :wink: