Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Banjo Steering Wheel Swap

Post by pgp001 »

Hello

I wonder if somone could tell me about the parts I will need in order to fit the earlier banjo steering wheel to my 1969 Traveller.
There are some steering wheels for sale that do not have the centre horn push parts included, I would like to know if my existing parts will fit from my later two spoke steering wheel, or were they specific to the ealier wheel and I need to find those as well.

I do realise there was a really early banjo steering wheel that will not fit, it is probably the one from a 998 series 2 that I need.

Thanks
Phil
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Banjo Steering Wheel Swap

Post by palacebear »

There was a previous thread here a few months ago on this subject. Can't locate it right now. Probably best to get a wheel off a 1961/62 car but you'll need the correct horn push to go with it IIRC. Wheels from 1956-60(ish) Minor 1000 didn't have a horn push, just a Morris emblem. Horn push was on the indicator stalk instead. Anything earlier (Series 2 or Series MM) has I believe a woodruff key type fitting and won't fit your steering column.
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Much as said above. You need a steering wheel with the grubscrew hole in the boss to fit the hornpush (or drill your own if the steering wheel is from the slightly earlier car). Minor 1000 models (Not the series11) had the banjo steering wheel but no hornpush from introduction in 1956 until about the end of 1958. 1959 model year had the steering wheel with the centre hornpush which you require until late 1964.
To convert your later car you simply require a steering wheel and the correct hornpush. Nothing else. The hornpush from the later car will not fit the earlier wheel but the contact in the steering column is no different and can be retained. I have fitted the earlier steering wheel and hornpush to my late Minor 1000 with no problem. A straight swap - once you have found one. They are in great demand!
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Thanks for all your help guys, I have just added a wanted advert for one.

Phil
firehor5e
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by firehor5e »

We(my 14 r old son and i)have two banjo wheels for sale,one horn push type,one Morris emblem.Both in good condition.
1968 2 door 1275
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Hi
Thanks for the offer.
I managed to buy one from the guy I bought the car off when I went to collect it on Sunday.
Phil