Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
burnham28
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear seat restoration

Post by burnham28 »

Can anyone give me some tips on restoring the padding in my rear seat. The present Mrs B has complained that there is insufficient padding in the seat although she has ample padding of her own. She only travels in the back seat so she can wave to passers by. Any advice would be gratefully received to stop the whine coming from the back.
[img]jpg[/img]
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Re: Rear seat restoration

Post by biomed32uk »

I am just starting the exact same job, my rear seat despite being re covered seems to have lost its padding.

I havn't stripped it yet as I only pulled it out of the car this afternoon but I am thinking a piece of 25mm upholstery foam on top will work, plus sorting out the springs which seem to have become compressed over time.

My only rear seat passenger is our Dog, but he loves the old car.

Need a pair of hog ring pliers and some hog rings which I don't have to refit it.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

burnham28 wrote: The present Mrs B has complained that there is insufficient padding in the seat although she has ample padding of her own.. Any advice would be gratefully received to stop the whine coming from the back.
Either a brave or foolish man......have you checked the diff , maybe that's where the whine is coming from ?

John :wink:
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

Could you tell me how you get on with the seat. I'm a bit apprehensive about taking it apart as I haven't seen those clips before and not sure if I can put them back.
[img]jpg[/img]
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

You ideally need a set of hog ring pliers and some hog rings, Amazon do plenty. I need a set myself and they are not expensive.

I stripped my cover off yesterday afternoon and it comes off without destroying it, just cut all the rings off.

Foam and some thin wadding ordered.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

burnham28 wrote: She only travels in the back seat so she can wave to passers by. Any advice would be gratefully received to stop the whine coming from the back.
Try putting Mrs B in the front. If the whine moves to the front you have found the problem! :D
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

There are some brave guys on here !
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I have already removed the front seat to facilitate the entry and exit of the present Mrs.B. weighing around 22 stones she looks very intimidating when she's wearing her Millwall football club tee shirt and displaying the love and hate tattooed on her knuckles. I think I may need some new rear springs soon.
[img]jpg[/img]
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

The previous Mrs PB used to have similarly tattooed knuckles. The lettering eventually wore away as the knuckles continually dragged along the ground :lol:
1956 4-door called Max