Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Front hub assembly

Post by Mark Wilson »

I rebuilt my front suspension a few months back, but the car remains unfinished and I have just returned to this part now while installing a new brake system. The hubs are my original late 1098 hubs, now on new kingpins and stub axles and with Wolseley 1500 backplates and drums. I can't remember if I changed the oil seals on both sides of the car, but the bearings are original and unmolested. I've hit a problem in tightening up the nearside castellated nut - at 40 lb ft it doesn't quite clear the holes enough to get a suitable split pin in, approx 10 to 20 thou short, just too short to overcome with more torque. The hub spins smoothly with no discernible play. I've tried the same washer on the other hub and everything goes together fine there. I'm suspecting the manufacturing of the stub axle.

The options seem to be 1) dismantle, check and clean in case of stray grit somewhere. (unlikely, I'm fairly fastidious in cleaning parts, and I've now )
2) reduce the thickness of the washer 3) increase the depth of the slots in the castellated nut 4) replace the split pin with wire

Any advice, please?

Mark
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Front hub assembly

Post by philthehill »

What you are encountering is nothing unusual - Just tighten the nut further to the next castellation to allow the split pin to engage fully through the nut and stub axle.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks Phil. I did take it up to nearly 50 lb ft and still wasn't moving far enough, was worried about stripping thread if I increased it any more.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would not worry too much about stripping the thread.
Do you have another nut you can try as the start of the threads may be placed differently inside the nut in relation to the castellation's.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Some shafts have two holes drilled 90 degrees apart, giving a choice for split pin entry. However I'm sure you would have observed that, had it been the case. Maybe try another nut.
Oops just repeated Phil's suggestion!

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

It does have holes at 90 degrees. Trying a different nut makes sense, thanks - I might just have another left hander somewhere, otherwise will have to order one.
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Hello Mark

Although I'm a MM newbie, I've come across this time after time with other vehicles. Tightening a bit more usually works, but I agree there does come a point when you fear for the thread. If you get to this point, rather than trying to thin the washer, I would take a smidget off the nut face - much easier, especially if you have access to (someone with) a lathe. It really will need only "cleaning up" if you are as close as you are.

Regards

Ian
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You may be able to clean up the rear face of the nut by placing a sheet of lightly oiled reasonably coarse wet & dry on a piece of glass and using a figure of eight motion slowly wear away the rear face of the nut sufficiently.
Make sure that all crud is removed from the nut before attempting to fit.
It may take a couple of goes but it does work and especially for the small amount requiring removal.
I use that process on engine thrust bearings to obtain the required clearances and it works well for me.
Phil

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Sorted, thanks gents! I used a new nut, found a fractionally thinner washer and removed a smidgeon (Imperial smidgeon, of course :) ) from one of the castellation slots with a file. Knowing that it wasn't unusual made a big difference to my confidence!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done.
Phil

Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Good news!

I have used a (very) slightly thinner split pin to get it in. Incidentally I've never come across one where the split pin has been locked in position when I've removed it. ie one where the split pin has had to do its job of preventing the nut coming off. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Regards

Ian
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ian

Can you please enlarge on your description "I have never come across one where the split pin has been locked in position".

Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Possibly meaning, never come across a situation where the nut had started to come undone but the splitpin stopped it loosening more but in doing so 'locked' the pin against the castellation.

Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

That's what I meant Les.

Regards

Ian