Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Daura58
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1961 Quarter Lights

Post by Daura58 »

Hi all,

How easy is it to replace both the quarter lights?
If you have new ones, can they be sprayed to the colour of your car or are they only available (new) in chrome?

Thanks!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: 1961 Quarter Lights

Post by myoldjalopy »

To remove the quarterlight, loosen the dome headed screw below the quarterlight. This secures the pin on the bottom of the quarterlight in the window frame and adjusts its tightness. Then remove the two screws on the upper hinge, remove the hinge and you can lift/wiggle the quarterlight until the bottom pin comes out of the hole in which it sits. To replace it, fit the pin of the quarterlight back in the hole in the window frame and re-fit the upper hinge. However, I have to say that it can be a real fiddle to get the upper hinge lined up so as to get the screws back in. Sometimes easier with two people - one to hold everything in place and another to fit the screws back. Someone else may have a tip on making this easier.
I don't know the answer to your other question, although I've seen painted quarterlights on 2-door models.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I would agree with the fitting guide already given. They can indeed be a bit of a fiddle but are fairly simple really.
You might be lucky and obtain good secondhand ones with a bit of shopping around but the painted mild steel ones originally fitted to the 2door saloons and commercial variants do tend to rust, Stainless steel can be overpainted. You have to rub it down well and use a good quality etch primer before your chosen colour coats.
When I restored my car I used stainless steel sill finishers so that they wouldn't rust in the future but prepared and painted them for a more original appearance.
Daura58
Minor Friendly

Post by Daura58 »

Thank you very much, the weekend project will be fitting new quarter lights!

Has anyone had any experience of painting the stainless steel quarter lights? I have had varying responses from friends, ranging from 'you can't' to 'it works great!'

Thanks!