Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re-location of Fuel Pump

Post by pgp001 »

Looking back through many previous posts regarding fuel vapour locking, it was stated in most replies that the answer is to move the fuel pump to a lower position in the engine bay.
Has anyone ever done this modification and did it cure the problem as suggested ?

Also does anyone have any details of how they did the modification preferably with some photo's please.

We had to be recovered last Saturday after it got a bit hot and bothered in slow traffic and refused to re-start it was a warm day but not what I would call particularly hot. After an hour or so waiting for the recovery truck it ran perfectly again.
I think (hope) it was the coil breaking down when hot, ( it was very hot to the touch) I have ordered a new coil because it had the wrong one fitted for the Lumenition electronic ignition module when I checked it, but if that does not sort the problem out I can only assume it is fuel vapour related.

Many thanks
Phil
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Re-location of Fuel Pump

Post by philthehill »

The standard SU fuel pump is more of a sucking pump and not a delivery pump though it will work but not so well if mounted lower than originally.
A shield for the delivery pipe and float chamber to cut down on the possibility of fuel vaporisation used to be available from Grumpy's but it is easy to make ones own. See diagram below.
If you want to relocate the electric fuel pump why not fit a mechanical fuel pump.
The aperture for mounting the pump is already in the side of the block.
You will need a mechanical fuel pump, the spacer block that goes between the pump and block and two studs/nuts and a suitable length of pipe.
The majority of other BMC cars were fitted with mechanical fuel pumps including Austin A35/A40, MG Midget.
Attachments
img133.jpg
img133.jpg (358.86 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Quick question Phil. Were all camshafts ground with the appropriate lift pump lobe?

RAB
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All of the O/E camshafts fitted to Morris Minors had the camshaft pump lobe even if it was not used.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Not every block had the aperture open. I have certainly seen them with blanking plate over the aperture, but have six here at present, all without the aperture.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

simmitc
You are absolutely right in that not all 'A' Series blocks have the fuel pump aperture.

I have not found any consistency as to whether the aperture should be there or not and having the aperture (or not) does not appear to be dependent upon the engine marque fitted i.e. Austin, MG/Sprite or Morris.

Phil

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I have a grumpy-style heatshield for the fuel line part in a box of unused bits if the original poster wishes to get one cheaply.

Incidentally my fuel pump is raised slightly to clear some twin-carb airboxes and have no issues with heatshields in place... although I'm in Scotland. ;)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

M'learned friend Phil is correct to state above that the SU pump is suck rather than push pump but it will still deliver to a reasonable height. Mine will lift to a height of 62 inches at which will stop and cease to pump, but the heights you need in an engine bay with the pump set low, say 18 to 24 inches, it will deliver continuously. I assume my pump is like everybody else's but with length of cheap plastic tubing such as from aquarium shops put on the pump outlet and strung up over your garage rafters it is easy to check.
Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Vapour lock is a common problem on MG TD's. Not all TD's have it.
When it happens just pull the choke. It will splutter but will re-start.
Some have the inlet manifold ceramic coated but not cheap.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

On the TF the suction pump on the bulkhead was replaced by a pressure pump near the tank.
That solved the problem.
With modern fuels the alcohol boiling off and gassing at 48 °C in the float bowls does not help.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan