Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Drivers door problem suggestions needed please

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hi I wonder if someone can help?
I'm a new member of the MMOC although I've been a member before and owned Morris Minors before.
I'm not very mechanically minded I'm afraid but am very happy to fiddle with things that need attention if it's not too difficult.
I've just bought a Morris 4 door saloon.
When I was halfway home from collecting the car the drivers door popped open slightly ( :oops: )I pulled over and closed the door but a few miles down the road it happened again.
I had to return the car to the garage where I bought it from to have some other bits and bobs attended to and the same thing happened.
I asked them to look at the door and they said they have but its still the same .It doesn't open completely but it comes open a small amount.
I changed the striking plates over but that hasn't helped.I can't keep taking it back to the place I bought it from as its a two hour drive each way.If anyone has any suggestions I would be really greatful.
I'm thinking of joining a local branch to help with theses sorts of problems but I do need to get it sorted as its a safety issue more than anything.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Drivers door problem suggestions needed please

Post by les »

Depending on the gap between the body and the door edge, you may need to 'pack out' the striker plate. You can do this with a piece of aluminium made to the same shape as the base of the striker plate. Something around 1/16 inch thick, with of course two holes in the appropriate place. Assemble this under the plate. Hopefully this might be the cure.

Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Thanks for your swift reply I'll try that as soon as I can.
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

the catches do wear,and instead of being flat and pointed at the tips ,become slightly rounded,so let the catch slip back onto the safety .On mine I carefully re shaped the tip with a file solved the problem,with mine anyway.