Clap Hand Wiper Issue

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Henners
MMOC Member: Yes

Clap Hand Wiper Issue

Post by Henners »

I recently purchased a minor with clap hand wipers and I'm currently trying to resolve an issue whereby the clap hand wipers are disappearing off the edge of the screen, which much be a drive/ratio problem? Does anybody know whether I can fit the old style wiper motor gear into the later type motor unit, or is the only solution to use the old style original fitment motor to achieve the correct wiper gearing? Tim
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clap Hand Wiper Issue

Post by Trickydicky »

First thing to check is that the wiper blade is fitting firmly into the spoon end of the wiper arm. If it does not you find that the sweep is affected as it just flops about as it moves.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Leyland
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Leyland »

I have recently been faced with the same problem involving clap hands wipers. I had a NOS DR3A motor , great until I finished rebuild and found wipers dissapeared off the screen and into the bonnet. After a lot of investigation found I had a 160 deg gear in the unit. Even the later cars only had a 130 deg fitted.
Getting parts for wiper motors is getting harder. The clap hands version (pre 63) were fitted with DR2A motors and either a 100 or 110 deg gear. I have managed to get the right unit at last after much searching. Hope this helps.
Ty
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Can you not remove the drive pin on the big cog and move it inwards to reduce the sweep angle?
Cardiff, UK
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I did just that on my '58 clap hands when fitting a "modern" 2-speed unit , removed the pin and re-fitted it to reduce the sweep ,works like a dream....

John :wink: