Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 155 Nankang or 145 Bridgestone

Post by dudload »

so just about to take the plunge and get 5 145 bridgestones. only issue is that I see Bull Motif (and blackcirles) say that their B381 Ecopia is the all seasons version, whereas where I was about to order it from (Kwik Fit - 2 streets away) indicates that it's a summer tyre.

I searched Bridgestone website and it indicates the B381 as a "general use summer tyre". I'm thinking there's only one version now - am I correct?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

It sounds as if all those descriptions are for the same tyre. I have them on my Minor and drive it all year round without issue. Bridgestone also manufacture a specific winter tyre in that size and I have run those on a spare pair of wheels in poor winter conditions - I thought them excellent - and good value - but they are more like an old fashioned mud and snow tyre in appearance with quite an agricultural tread pattern. Horses for courses. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the B381 tyres - I expect some sellers refer to them as "summer" tyres simply to distinguish them from the "winter" tyres.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

Thanks manyminors,

Was worried as bull motif make a big deal about them being the all weather version. Will probably just take the plunge and see!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If it's any help, I fitted the "winter" Bridgestones over a year ago and they performed perfectly during the following cold winter but also during the hot summer of last year. Their finest hour was probably clearing water during a prolonged torrential downpour over 80 miles on the M25/M40, and that was in September, not the middle of winter.

One thing to note: The all weather ones can be fitted either way rounds whereas the winter ones have a specific direction of rotation (arrow marks moulded into sidewalls) and so cannot be swapped from one side to the other; but very few people swap wheels around these days, so I do not regard it as a problem.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

in regards to the question above on whether the revs would be higher on a car with 145 or 155 tyres, this is irrelevant.

those dimensions are the width, not the height of the tyre.

revs would change if you went from 145/80/14 down to 145/65/14. the tyre would be slimmer so the wheel would need to rotate faster. same applies if you fitted 13" wheels instead of 14" wheels.

https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/?gclid=E ... lsrc=aw.ds

look under 'tyre size'

here to help.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

ampwhu wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm in regards to the question above on whether the revs would be higher on a car with 145 or 155 tyres, this is irrelevant.

those dimensions are the width, not the height of the tyre.

revs would change if you went from 145/80/14 down to 145/65/14. the tyre would be slimmer so the wheel would need to rotate faster. same applies if you fitted 13" wheels instead of 14" wheels.

https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/?gclid=E ... lsrc=aw.ds

look under 'tyre size'

here to help.
No. I'm afraid it is you that is confused ampwhu. Although the 145 or 155 measurement is indeed the width of each tyre, the width does affect the radius. An 80 profile tyre, which these are, means that the sidewall measurement is 80% of the width. Therefore, 80% of 155mm is larger than 80% of 145mm and therefore is a tyre with a larger radius which therefore alters the overall gearing.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

on a road car, all your mathematics are useless. fit a better diff and the tyre size is not worth worrying about.

its a MM not a Ferrari.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

ampwhu wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:12 am on a road car, all your mathematics are useless. fit a better diff and the tyre size is not worth worrying about.

its a MM not a Ferrari.
So you’re saying that if the tyre diameter is different because of the wheel size then it DOES make a difference, but if the tyre diameter is different because it’s 80% of a different width, then it isn’t actually different, because it’s not a Ferrari?!! To be fair, ManyMinors’ maths weren’t useless at all...
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You can have wheels of a different diameter fitted with different section tyres and still end up with the same rolling radius.
img302.jpg
img302.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2675 times

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Phil
I don't suppose they made any mention of tyre pressures?

John :cry:
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

philthehill wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 am You can have wheels of a different diameter fitted with different section tyres and still end up with the same rolling radius.
img302.jpg
Indeed Phil, but I suspect we are agreed that 80% of 145mm is less than 80% of 155 mm when both tyres are 14”, which is the’diameter’ I am referring to.