Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Radiator repair

Post by Johnno »

Hi all,any recommendations re radiator repairs? I am in the Romford Essex area so needs to be fairly local .Its a series MM rad,if that makes any difference.
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
pde2000
Minor Friendly

Re: Radiator repair

Post by pde2000 »

Its relatively easy once you have the radiator out and dry. Just pinch the perforated tube and solder it with a soldering iron or torch. The brass takes to solder very well.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

John
The only Romford " local " repairers that comes up on searches is EPC Radiators Ltd , 139 Crow Lane Tel 01708720500 Company was Registered @ Companies House 14 years ago.
I can't find any reviews or a specific website of theirs.
Why not stroll down there. Talk to the local garages and car spares / accessories places first … if you're starting with a blank sheet on them. See what good / bad things they have to say about them. Then visit the company to see what they are working on at present / turn around times / any "guarantee " given / cost involved , etc.
Any decent repairer should be able to reconstruct the radiator , rather than " just sell you a new one because they can't be bothered ". The basic skills required are constant and any attempt to load the price because it's a " very old radiator , Sir " should be viewed with suspicion. Cost should be related to the damage not age. Get the guy or gal to point out what "damage " they see and the solution they recommend.

If it's a simple ( to them ) leak then a bit of soldering will crack the problem. If the fins are disintegrating
through rust then a re-core might prove to be a much bigger bill. I would certainly get them to chemically clean
the rad whilst you've got it off the car. It will clean out the cores and make the Rad more efficient.

I've got no knowledge of the Company personally.
Bob
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Thanks Bob,that’s very a comprehensive reply.I will look them up and pay a visit to see what they say.I’ll keep the forum informed as to what happens in case any one else need rad repairs.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Thanks Bob,that’s very a comprehensive reply.I will look them up and pay a visit to see what they say.I’ll keep the forum informed as to what happens in case any one else need rad repairs.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Early series MM had the bottom face of the top tank pushed up to help with clearance from the fan blades so worth thinking about seeing if they can add this feature before they solder a new matrix on. Ask me how I know!!!!
Only about 1cm.
Cardiff, UK
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Ha ha,already have that.Been running with this rad for a few years now but has just developed several leaks.No doubt due to my overheating problems of late.Thanks mate.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

Ha ha,already have that.Been running with this rad for a few years now but has just developed several leaks.No doubt due to my overheating problems of late.Thanks mate.