Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Seat frames query

Post by Mike Shipman »

Hi, I have a 67 Traveller and Im pondering getting some Newton Commercial replacement covers. I’m not that keen on the design for the 64-71 design, (the vinyl welded ones) and quite like the 62-64 duo tone style and the 56-59 ones.
My query is wether the seat frame sizes and shape are the same for me to swap around with the design? Thanks.
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Seat frames query

Post by firedrake1942 »

Duo-tone probably would be but there were a whole load of different designs in 56-60 including hangovers from S2 (Mine 1957) . This guide isn't bad

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/13 ... rim-styles

the earlier seats had a Dunlopillo cushion and solid base and the later tend to have straps / webbing or a diaphragm. Newton Commercial could probably make you what you want to fit to your seats but it will not be cheap.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Duo-tone probably would be but there were a whole load of different designs in 56-60 including hangovers from S2 (Mine 1957) . This guide isn't bad

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/13 ... rim-styles

the earlier seats had a Dunlopillo cushion and solid base and the later tend to have straps / webbing or a diaphragm. Newton Commercial could probably make you what you want to fit to your seats but it will not be cheap.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

All square back frames are the same. Only the seat straps started with straps only across with two hooks in each hole. Any Minor 1000 seat cover will work. The big concern is the passenger seat, whether it folds not. The covers are different.
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Thank you very much for your responses, they are very helpful.
Just checked The seat cover prices and they are rather higher than Id thought, £81 per back and per seat making the front pair alone £364 for the front seat covers alone 😳 (they’ll need restuffing etc as well).
Maybe i, ll just be buying some good quality cleaning products for the current ones☹️, we,ll have to check the piggy bank...
Mike Shipman,
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

i understand completely, the cost of newton commercial is high but the quality can not be faulted and as with other discussions you get what you pay for.. i could not afford a new interior for my minor so purchased a 1930 singer sewing machine and taught myself to sew.. happy to share the newsletters i wrote on the subject..
Attachments
P1050058.JPG
P1050058.JPG (679.71 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

W o w e e ! Those seat covers are fabulous 👏👏👏
Yes please, any information you could supply as to how you went about doing those would be very gratefully received.
Mike Shipman,
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I am more than happy to send any one the newsletter just drop me a pm with your email address
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I bought a half-finished resto with an invoice for over £2500 from Newton to supply AND fit a complete leather kit. Best £1000 I ever spent! :D

Charlie, I'd be eternally grateful if you could send me a copy of the newsletters? The fit and finish you've got there is great!
Cardiff, UK
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Thankyou Charliemorrisminor for the seats info, very detailed and very good, I just need to chat someone up about the loan of her sewing machine!😉
Mike Shipman,