Fuel spill

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nolten
MMOC Member: No

Fuel spill

Post by Nolten »

Does a Minor 1000 has petrol tank ventilation which might be blocked? Because I all ways spill fuel when filling up the tank.
If not does someone knows a trick to get in 6 gallons within 5 minutes?
Thank you for your response.
Gerard
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel spill

Post by les »

Mine hasn't got a vent, perhaps you stick the nozzle too far down the tube, making it harder for air to escape.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

As above. Don't stick it in too far :oops: Plus - slow down rate of delivery as you approach a full tank. The issue is common one on Minors and the easy solution is to take more time and care when filling up.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I just never squeeze the handle more than about 2/3 on, saves a lot of splashing back.
A lot can just depend on the delivery pressure of the pump concerned. Some garages seem to have their pumps set to deliver at a much higher rate than others do. :roll:
Last edited by geoberni on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

Nolten

Post by Nolten »

:wink: Thank you for the advice.
I've got to have more patience .
You should never be in a hurry when driving your Minor, right!
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Has anyone else noticed the more expensive petrol becomes the rate of delivery at the pump slows down? Perhaps I imagine it but I am sure the large supermarket near to me does this.

Back to the original thread mine spits back too. If anyone know how to stop this please post
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

We did! See above..........
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Mine does this, I now fill it slowly and stop when I can hear the fuel gurgling in the tank.
Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

When I first filled up Maisie after I bought her last year, I put the fuel nozzle in from the side at 90 degrees to the vertical.
I watched the pump for a while and when I turned around petrol was everywhere, all over the rear of the car and the forecourt!
We informed the attendant straight away (report any spillages etc), and he just said ok-he wasn’t bothered at all!
I learned then to put the nozzle in vertical and slow down the rate of flow, never had a problem since.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All

Lotus Elans have had this problem for years...plenty of fuel dumped on the wing , either when filling or cornering , the cure was

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/fuel-filler- ... -2643.html

fitted in the neck.

When I change out my tank am going to try it....

John :wink:
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Haven't all the fill pipes got a tube fitted within?
I thought this was supposed to let the air out while fuel was being filled through the centre tube?

Alan
pde2000
Minor Friendly

Post by pde2000 »

You're right Alan. My problem is that I am so used to modern cars letting you keep pumping until full and it automatically cutting out that the tank over fills and spills near the end. It would be nice to be able to program the pump to deliver a measured dose.

Not having a locking cap makes me paranoid about local crims syphoning the tank.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I do believe that modern pumps skeet out the petrol at a higher pressure than in days of yore............. :(
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The trouble is, the filler pipe is of a comparatively narrow bore and not mounted high enough to facilitate auto cut-off. It is also a straight pipe which adds to the problem. Many pre-1970's cars suffer the same problem. The only solution is to do what other members say; keep the pump nozzle in line with the pipe, don't fill too fast and then stop as soon as you see petrol appear in the filler pipe. Watch it like a hawk. It's also worth checking or renewing the filler cap gasket to minimise loss.

I got sick of spilling petrol so another useful idea is to attach a sticker with the tank contents to the dashboard. That way you know when to slow down.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

i used to drive a 110 Land Rover on a building site, where we had a gravity tank, no cut-offs or any fancy stuff like that. The only way to prevent over filling was to watch the fuel gauge and stop when it got to full. My Minor is in bits at the moment, but can you see the gauge on a Minor when filling, and if so does it respond reasonably quickly?
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

GavinL wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 am The only way to prevent over filling was to watch the fuel gauge and stop when it got to full. My Minor is in bits at the moment, but can you see the gauge on a Minor when filling, and if so does it respond reasonably quickly?
We have used this technique when filling to avoid a spill, with Jayne sat in the car, but you would struggle to do it on your own unless your eyesight is considerably better than mine. Our gauge seems to respond quick enough but we usually shut off before the needle gets to full to be on the safe side.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I usually wait until the gauge says its down to 1/4 then put about £23 worth in, the gauge will then say full. Probably not so good for long journeys.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

This has made me smile - in a quarter of a century of owning numerous Minors, I’d never realised that filling up was so complicated (and yes, I do do it myself)! To those of you reading the fuel gauge as you fill up, though, presumably you’re leaving the ignition on, which of course isn’t a great idea either for the ignition system or due to the risk of sparks in an environment with a lot of petrol vapour.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I never fill mine up. I wait until the (undamped) gauge is flapping near the empty mark then put in 3 gallons (13.65 litres) unless I'm making a long journey (unlikely). Even then, it's a slow business if I want to avoid blow-back and spills. I can get £40 of fuel into my modern within the same length of time 😁
1956 4-door called Max